Staff Infrastructure Engineer, Services Platform
Build the services infrastructure platform powering economic growth
Our users trust us with their businesses and livelihoods, and every request that Stripe handles is critical. We process billions of dollars every year for millions of users, from the largest enterprises to a startup making their first sale. We invest deeply in the reliability and security of our infrastructure to earn their trust.
The Services Platform team is responsible for empowering teams to build highly reliable and performant services, backing our payment systems, fraud detection, and a multitude of other products.
As an infrastructure engineer, you will build and expand the services platform to make complex systems easy to use, resilient, and scalable. We build powerful interfaces for engineers that depend on these systems—deployment, load balancers, web framework, databases, Kafka and Kubernetes—while keeping them highly available and performant.
We’re looking for engineering leaders who can drive the technical vision of Stripe’s service infrastructure platform for hundreds of engineers to use and build on top of, and thrive in a highly autonomous environment with many moving pieces.
- Lead technical conversations and decision making with other infrastructure and backend teams.
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale, while improving internal engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
- Anticipate and plan for the growth of Stripe’s service platform infrastructure.
- Scope, design and implement platform solutions that make the appropriate tradeoffs between resiliency, durability, and performance.
- Develop tooling and automate processes to provide a resilient and flexible platform for other engineers.
- Help debug and solve critical infrastructure issues across services and multiple levels of the stack.
- Mentor and grow the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe.
You may be a fit for this role if you have:
- Curiosity to learn and share knowledge with peers, and the motivation to empower others to be more productive.
- Pleasure in anticipating how systems fail, how to observe and design robust systems, and building the right interfaces that encourage best practices.
- A mature understanding to strike the balance between ideal and pragmatic solutions on a case-by-case basis.
- 10+ years of experience in service infrastructure, reliability engineering, software engineering, or systems engineering.
- Coding skills in Java, Scala, Go, or another statically typed language for building highly performant services. (Staff engineers are still hands on from time to time at Stripe!)
- Understanding and practical experience in service infrastructure environments (e.g. gRPC, Docker, Kubernetes, Puppet, Terraform, AWS, etc.)
- Understanding and practical experience in multiple database and storage options, including clustering, sharding and failure recovery of SQL, NoSQL, in memory caching, etc.
- Familiarity with the full life cycle of software development, from design and implementation to testing and deployment.
- Experience in distributed systems at scale with regards to testing, reliability, security, and observability.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source. We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions. In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.