Staff Engineer, Crypto
Stripe builds economic infrastructure for the internet. As the usage of cryptocurrency grows worldwide, it opens up new and exciting avenues for businesses and individuals to transact and create value. We hear a growing need from developers and users for better building blocks to accept payments, move funds, and exchange between fiat and crypto. By focusing on these problems and needs, we aim to build faster, more trustworthy, and higher quality crypto-enabled experiences.
Crypto is a brand new team at Stripe. As a Staff Engineer on the team, you will design and build the core components that we need to support crypto use cases, as well as take new experiences in development from 0 to 1. You will work across everything from web/mobile UIs to backend, and payments and identity systems. Many businesses and users already rely on and trust in Stripe. This gives us a massive opportunity to be at the forefront of a new wave of innovation.
Stripe was early in supporting the crypto community and helped businesses accept Bitcoin in 2014. . We’re looking for experienced engineers in the cryptocurrency space who are invigorated by the opportunity to have a major impact on how users interact with crypto. You must be comfortable dealing with lots of moving pieces; you should have exquisite attention to detail and be comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
- Lay the foundation to support and inform Stripe’s crypto strategy.
- Identify and resolve long-term technical challenges across a broad range of areas, from blockchain to data storage services, from API design to user experience.
- Advise Stripe leadership on key technology and product roadmap considerations.
- Work with engineers across the company to understand when existing infrastructure can be leveraged vs. when to build in isolation.
- Develop and execute against both short- and long-term roadmaps. Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation.
- Teach and mentor both individual contributors and managers to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe. As a senior member on a new team, you will be looked to for guidance.
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have a strong technical background including 10+ years of experience designing and engineering large-scale systems.
- Have experience developing in the cryptocurrency space.
- Have a track record of directing technical investment in new products, allowing them to grow from fledgling efforts into thriving businesses.
- Have served as the technical lead and defined the roadmap for complex projects spanning multiple teams and functions.
- Measure your success in terms of business impact, not lines of code.
- Internalize the best ideas from across the organization and can humbly set a vision that others are excited to get behind.
- Work well cross-functionally and earn trust from co-workers at all levels. You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your team.
- Care deeply about mentoring and growing engineers. Senior engineers feel they are able to learn from you.
- Prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.