Product Designer, Climate
Help Stripe empower businesses to combat climate change
Design at Stripe
We believe there are too many barriers to doing business on the internet, and that opportunities are not equally distributed throughout the world. We also think building and growing a business online is a problem rooted in code, language, and design—not finance.
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet and expand economic access globally. We’re designing tools and infrastructure to help our users start, run, and scale an online business from anywhere in the world. That’s where you come in: we’re looking for a diverse set of designers of many disciplines, skills, backgrounds, and specialties to join our growing Design team.
The Design team works across many types of product initiatives at Stripe—from our brand voice and websites to events, web and mobile products, primary qualitative and quantitative research, and even printed publications. And since Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products, we agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
About the Climate team and the role
Last year, Stripe announced a Negative Emissions Commitment, a first-of-its-kind annual contribution of $1mm to fund carbon removal technologies. We’re going beyond this commitment by building a world-class climate program into the core of Stripe’s products, available to all of our users around the world. This is a brand new product involving new technical and financial systems to support carbon removal technologies. This new product is both a software and operational challenge at the forefront of climate impact, with potential for tremendous scale across Stripe’s user base.
The Stripe Climate team is making it incredibly easy for our users to help combat climate change. As the founding designer on the team, you’ll play a critical role shaping and shipping our first product(s). Given the early stage of the team, this role requires remarkable breadth—from designing the user experiences across multiple product surfaces to brand and communications design. If you’re excited about making an impact on climate change and being part of a small and scrappy team to get something off the ground, we want to hear from you!
- Work with the team to envision a new software and service initiative using research, ideation, user experience design, visual design, and prototyping skills
- Work with engineers and product managers to define both the long-term strategy and the short-term tactics for our products
- Act as a hands-on practitioner, contributing to creative work across the entire program, including both product and brand development
- Understand the array of technical constraints, user goals, and business requirements that shape a product
- Structure and facilitate ideation workshops for an emerging product category
- Work closely with designers on other product teams to develop and expand product design systems
- Participate in design reviews and share your work regularly with the Design team and company leadership
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have an exceptional portfolio demonstrating strong visual design sensibilities and experience in creating concepts, customer journeys, specifying interaction details, and prototyping internally and with users
- Are skilled in explaining your work, process, and decisions to cross-functional stakeholders and crave feedback to help you produce your best work
- Have experience with participating in and driving UX research activities
- Can prototype experiences, including the ability to gauge the appropriate fidelity for the objective
- Think in systems and are able to extrapolate and extend shared patterns and behaviors
- You care about details and are excited to keep pushing your work until it is pixel-perfect
- Are uncompromisingly service-minded towards our users and your colleagues, but able to set and achieve priorities that find the perfect balance between benefiting the project, the Design team, and all of Stripe
- Have excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Have a bachelor’s (or equivalent degree) in Design, HCI or related field, or equivalent professional experience in the design field
- Have 5+ years of combined experience in Product Design, design systems, and brand development
You should include these in your application:
- A link to your online portfolio
- Your CV or LinkedIn profile
- A few words about why Stripe is interesting to you
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.