Infrastructure Engineer, Developer Productivity - Workflow Engine
Build the infrastructure powering economic growth
The Developer Productivity group is responsible for making Stripe’s developers happy and productive. We work on tools, processes, and code refactoring to accelerate Stripe engineering as Stripe scales.
We’re looking for people with a strong background in and interest in building language processing tools and language specific developer tools. The ideal candidate will have a mix of technical expertise in language processing, a passion for solving developer experience problems, and a pragmatic ability to ship results iteratively.
The workflow engine team owns the platform that makes it easier and faster to write stateful workflows in a reliable, fault-oblivious way while abstracting the distributed systems complexities associated with it. This platform powers products such as Stripe Capital and Billing, as well as the control plane of our cloud instances. Our platform must meet an extremely high bar for usability, reliability, and efficiency.
- Work with a team of technically sophisticated engineers who make developer experience their first priority
- Solve problems for fellow Stripe engineers by understanding their needs and coming up with both short term workarounds and long term solutions
- Use both qualitative and quantitative metrics to determine priorities and measure effectiveness
- Deliver practical, useful, and reliable tools, processes, and code refactorings to Stripe engineers
- Work with stakeholders across Stripe to balance and accommodate competing desires
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have experience working with Temporal / Cadence or other similar workflow orchestration systems
- Are passionate about developer experience
- Are results driven and pragmatic
- Thrive in a collaborative and diverse environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Enjoy and have experience building language processing tools, especially those that consist of or leverage static type systems
You might work on:
- Changing how Stripe engineers write, share, review, and merge code through education, automated tooling, new infrastructure, and new processes
- Building language processing tools, especially those that consist of or leverage static type systems
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t come in with as much systems knowledge.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.