Engineering Manager, Cryptography and Connectivity
The Traffic pillar within Stripe’s Foundations (infrastructure) org is responsible for making sure traffic makes it from the internet to our software, and doing it while being safe and invisible to other engineers at Stripe. We build the platform and infrastructure that sit at the intersection between our secure cardholder environment and the rest of Stripe.
Within Traffic, our Cryptography and Connectivity team builds a stable, clear, extensible interface for PCI-required encryption and tokenization; we also manage connectivity to the card networks. We leverage modern cryptography hardware to build state of the art integrations with our financial partner’s systems. When this team operates well, we enable efficient and predictable expansion through the world. We act as a force multiplier by allowing Stripe engineers to build advanced, innovative products that take full advantage of our partners’ unique systems, while improving global financial security.
We’re looking for experienced engineering managers who are excited about building, mentoring, and leading a unique team within Stripe to solve challenging systems problems.
- Work with engineers and other leaders at Stripe to understand their use cases for Stripe’s high assurance environment, infrastructure, and interfaces
- Mentor and lead a geo-distributed team with diverse technical backgrounds - including software engineering, systems, reliability, and networking
- Support the broader Stripe engineering team in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and ease-of-use
- Manage and design processes to help the team do its best work and engage effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
We’re looking for someone who has:
- At least 4+ years of people management experience
- Worked with, and/or built, geographically distributed teams
- Successfully recruited and built diverse, inclusive teams
- A keen focus on spotting, mentoring, and building new leaders
- Creativity and empathy when thinking about how to navigate a rapidly changing environment
- The ability to thrive on a high level of autonomy, ambiguity, and responsibility
- Clear and persuasive writing and in person communication
- An excitement for collaborating with teammates across engineering to provide a wonderful user experience
Bonus points if:
- You’ve led teams that shipped and operated critical infrastructure, particularly in the hardware security, connectivity, networking, or storage domains
- You have a methodical quantitative and analytical background
- You have experience scaling a team from the ground up, or an established team into a much larger group
- You’ve worked with PCI compliant or other high assurance environments
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.