Design Engineer, Events UX
Help us shape Stripe.com
Design at Stripe
There are far too many barriers to doing business online. Stripe was founded to overcome them, and we think that such an achievement will be rooted not just in finance, but in creativity of code and design.
Our substantive goal is to craft economic change. We’re designing infrastructure, products, surfaces, literature—all to help our users start, run, and grow an online business from anywhere in the world. We’re looking for a diverse group of people to join us.
Design is involved in almost everything Stripe does—from our events and brand voice, to our web and mobile products, and even printed publications like Stripe Press. Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products; on their behalf we agonize over the details. We want our user experiences to become second nature.
About the Web Presence & Platform teams
There are several teams under the banner of Web Presence & Platform (WPP) at Stripe: Experiences, Experimentation, Events, Content Platform, and more. It’s a tightly coupled group of interactive designers, front-end specialists, web strategists, platform engineers, and every skill set in-between.
The Experiences, Experimentation, and Events teams focus on the craft of our web pages—UX design, frontend code, information architecture. The Content Platform team supports them and other partners around Stripe by ensuring there’s a fast, efficient technology platform on which to build and run these pages.
Together we design and build stripe.com and other sites that amount to what is, for many, their first impression of Stripe. We want to make every pixel count, we want it to be enthralling, and we want to help other Stripes seamlessly benefit from our systematic work.
About the role
As a Design Engineer you will have the breadth to design, concept, prototype, and build new experiences for our web presence. You’ll create new components in our libraries, and use those to build pages like stripe.com/billing and stripe.com/connect. You’ll often craft individual experiences or animations that distill a complex topic into a simple concept, like stripe.com/checkout. You’ll constantly have in-browser performance in mind, and create abstractions that other designers and engineers consume and build upon.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Advanced knowledge of modern HTML and CSS
- A zeal for the web as a storytelling medium, demonstrable through a portfolio of design work and frontend code showcasing design systems, engaging microsites, Figma plugins, webgl experiments, CSS art, or anything else—you tell us
- 4+ years of relevant web front-end development or creative technology experience at a tech-forward, product-driven company
- A good understanding of the formal elements of design, not just limited to the web and including typography, layout, balance, and proportion
- Experience designing and building public facing websites that work elegantly across commonly used browsers
- Work closely with our team’s designers to prototype and implement web animations and interaction-heavy product launch materials on stripe.com
- Design and build entire experiences for sites like stripe.com
- Concept and prototype UX components and motion studies for sites like press.stripe.com
- Maintain and extend our design systems
- Build high-performance web pages
- Help you focus on what you do best, and give you the opportunities to sharpen the skills you’re looking to develop
- Provide an environment in which you can thrive both as an individual, and as a member of a diverse community
- Give you the agency in your work to shape outcomes you can proudly own
- Help you partner closely with our user research team to better understand the audiences for the experiences you design and build
Please include these in your application:
- An online portfolio or compendium of example web projects you’ve built
- Your resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A 1-2 paragraph summary of your favorite project from any of your work or personal experiences
- A short paragraph on why you’ll flourish at Stripe
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.