Backend / API Engineer, Issuing
Stripe builds economic infrastructure with a mission to increase the GDP of the internet. Historically, Stripe has been known for making the acceptance of payments easy for developers. Now, with Stripe Issuing, we are solving the other half of payments: spending money. Issuing is the simplest way to create, distribute, and manage physical & virtual credit cards. As cards are used, programmatic rules can help users manage spend intelligently. This results in new business models, fraud prevention, spending insights, and more. The future for an end-to-end economic platform has both payments and Issuing at its core. As an early engineer on the Issuing team, come help shape its future!
- Iterate rapidly on features, tooling, and processes as we grow Issuing multiple orders of magnitude.
- Work closely with our users and financial partners on a daily basis.
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, services, and systems.
- Engineer solutions across systems such as real-time authorizations, data pipeline infrastructure, automated reporting, banking systems, and more
- Enable new use-cases and funding models within the Issuing product.
- Leverage the best of Stripe’s stack or build from the ground up when prudent.
- Debug production issues across services at multiple levels of the stack.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Love to design systems that are elegant abstractions over complex financial industry patterns/practices.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Like to move quickly.
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers, to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world.
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, with some Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in at least one area, and have some interest and capabilities in the others.
You should include these in your application:
- A short introduction describing who you are and what you’re looking for. What projects have you enjoyed working on? Which have you disliked? What motivates you?
- Links to online profiles you use (e.g. GitHub)
- A description of your work history (whether as a resume, LinkedIn profile, or prose)
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.