1. Use restrictions.
You may not use Affirm for the following purposes:
- To exchange funds where no bona fide goods or services are sold.
- To evade card network chargeback monitoring programs.
- To share customer data with another merchant for cross-selling a product or service.
To offer the Affirm payment method to customers in the US, the following conditions apply:
- Your Stripe account is registered in the US.
- Your customers are also located in the US.
- Your website is available to customers in English, including Affirm-related content.
- Your products and services are priced in USD.
2. Affirm branding.
If you want to market Affirm on your website beyond using the Affirm messaging Element, you must adhere to Affirm’s marketing compliance guides and use the Affirm toolkit that relates to the Affirm financing option you offer your customers (Installments, Pay in 4 or the Adaptive Checkout experience).
By offering Affirm, you also grant Affirm a non-exclusive and non-transferable limited license to use your legal or trade name for servicing your customers and for marketing your offering of Affirm to existing or potential customers on Affirm owned or controlled channels, such as Affirm’s mobile application, website, email marketing, and social media channels. Affirm will stop using your legal and trade name for these purposes promptly following your request. If you no longer wish to receive merchant success services from Affirm, you can request that Affirm stop providing such services to you at any time and Affirm will promptly cease offering such services to you following your request.
You may not reference Affirm or include any Affirm custom marketing assets in any messaging on SMS or similar text messaging applications (“Text Message”) unless otherwise agreed to by Affirm. If you and Affirm agree to include any Affirm custom marketing assets or reference Affirm in any Text Message, you will comply with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and Telemarketing Sales Rule, their state-law analogues, and any other applicable rules relating to telemarketing.
3. Prohibited and restricted business categories.
In addition to the categories of businesses restricted from using Stripe overall, the following categories are prohibited from using Affirm.
- Boat dealers
- Business to business services
- Employment agencies (including, but not limited to, temporary help services)
- Higher education services
- Home improvement services (including, but not limited to, contractors and special trade contractors)
- Live animals
- Healthcare Services*
- Professional services (including, but not limited to, legal, consulting, and accounting)
- Snowmobile dealers
- Stenographic and secretarial support services
- Titled goods and auto loans
- Other categories at the discretion of Affirm and Stripe
*Healthcare Services. To the extent you are approved to offer Affirm for Healthcare Services, the following will apply to your use of Affirm:
- If you sell products or services that (i) constitute the practice of medicine or the practice of dentistry; or (ii) are within the scope of practice of any licensed healthcare professional for which an individual must obtain a professional license in order to perform or be supervised by a licensed professional ("Healthcare Services”), you will comply with the Healthcare Service Terms located at https://www.affirm.com/terms/merchant-policies-stripe-healthcare.
- Connected Accounts: If you enable any Stripe Connected Accounts that sell products or services that constitute Healthcare Services to enable Affirm (or enable Affirm for Connected Accounts), you will make available Affirm’s Healthcare Service Terms located at https://www.affirm.com/terms/merchant-policies-stripe-healthcare to your Connected Account (for example, in your technical documentation, merchant agreement, merchant dashboard, or via email) promptly following the enablement of Affirm.
In-Home Services. If you sell products or services in customers’ homes, you will not discuss, mention or otherwise talk about Affirm or take payment with customers on Affirm while in such customers’ home.
Returns are subject to your return policy displayed on your website. In the event of a valid customer return, you agree to do the following:
- Issue full or partial refunds and not store credit.
- Promptly process such refunds.
Neither you nor your customer can use Affirm to pay for return-related fees (for example, restocking fees).
5. Disputes and Fraud.
By offering Affirm, you agree to resolve disputes directly with your customers in a timely manner, based on your policies.
If you can’t resolve a dispute with your customer, you agree to the following dispute resolution process:
- Affirm works directly with Stripe.
- Stripe works directly with you.
- You comply with, and promptly respond to, reasonable requests from Stripe or Affirm relating to the dispute.
Stripe also works with you and Affirm to prevent fraudulent transactions and minimize loss. In the event of a fraudulent transaction, you must comply with any request from Stripe to stop shipment or cancel a transaction.
6. Financing Options.
Affirm is offered by Affirm, Inc. or through its affiliates or bank partners. Affirm will determine customer underwriting, credit decisioning, customer APRs, loan amounts and cart amounts for customers using Affirm. Affirm offers the following financing options:
- The “Pay in 4” option is a closed-end installment loan for customers to finance the purchase of your products and services at 0% APR, which is repaid in four or fewer bi-weekly installments over an eight-week loan term. Affirm uses its state lending licensed subsidiary to originate these loans resulting from a customer’s use of the Pay in 4 financing option. The Pay in 4 financing option will be available in the following territories: (i) all states in the US; (ii) the District of Columbia; and (iii) any other state, territory or jurisdiction authorized by Affirm.
- The “Installments” financing option is a closed-end installment loan for customers to finance the purchase of your products and services at 0% or interest bearing rates with various loan terms. Affirm uses (i) one or more state-chartered banks or other FDIC-insured institution(s) or (ii) its state lending licensed subsidiary to originate these loans resulting from a customer’s use of the Installments financing option. The Installments financing option will be available in the following territories: (i) all states in the US; (ii) the District of Columbia; (iii) Guam; (iv) Puerto Rico; (v) the US Virgin Islands; and (vi) any other state, territory or jurisdiction authorized by Affirm.
Affirm via Stripe enables an "Adaptive Checkout" experience which means customers get personalized financing options for each transaction, which may include Pay in 4, Installments, or both.
Affirm may also ask your customer to make an initial, one-time down payment of the purchase price for your products and services. You acknowledge that any down payment made by a customer to Affirm is considered the same as a payment made directly to you and you appoint Affirm Loan Services LLC as your payment collection agent for accepting any down payment on your behalf.
7. Stripe Connect Platforms.
If you enable any Stripe custom Connected Accounts to enable Affirm (or enable Affirm for custom Connected Accounts), you will (i) make available Affirm’s marketing compliance guides set forth in Section 2 above to your custom Connected Account (for example, in your technical documentation, merchant agreement, merchant dashboard, or via email) promptly following the enablement of Affirm, or (ii) ensure that custom Connected Accounts do not offer or market Affirm to customers other than by displaying the Affirm messaging Element, unless otherwise agreed to by Affirm.
8. Affirm Enforcement Rights.
By enabling Affirm, you acknowledge that Affirm, including Affirm Loan Services LLC, are third party beneficiaries of the Stripe Services Agreement and may enforce Stripe’s rights under the Stripe Services Agreement directly against you.
9. Information Sharing.
You agree that your information can be shared with Affirm. For more information, see Stripe’s Privacy Center.
10. No discrimination.
You agree not to discriminate against or otherwise disadvantage your customers who want to use Affirm relative to other payment methods.
11. Termination rights.
In addition to the termination and suspension rights included in the Stripe Services Agreement, Affirm has certain additional rights to suspend or terminate your use of Affirm, such as for breach of the prohibited business categories listed above or for high dispute rates that aren’t promptly remedied.