Stripe and OpenAI collaborate to monetize OpenAI’s flagship products and enhance Stripe with GPT-4
- OpenAI chooses Stripe to power payments for ChatGPT Plus and DALL·E.
- Stripe is building tools on OpenAI’s new GPT-4 model.
- OpenAI customers check out 40% faster on average when logged into Link.
SAN FRANCISCO AND DUBLIN—Stripe, a financial infrastructure platform for businesses, today announced OpenAI has chosen Stripe to power payments as it moves to commercialize its groundbreaking ChatGPT and DALL·E generative AI technologies. Stripe is also incorporating OpenAI’s new natural language technology, GPT-4, into its products and services.
“We're excited to work with Stripe to monetize our flagship products,” said Peter Welinder, vice president of product and partnerships at OpenAI. “Beyond payments, Stripe is helping us with everything from recurring billing and tax compliance to automating our financial operations.”
Powering OpenAI with Stripe
OpenAI is working with Stripe to commercialize its generative AI technology. Using Stripe’s suite of products, OpenAI was able to launch a global payments system for multiple product lines in a matter of weeks. Highlights of the collaboration include:
- Stripe Billing and Stripe Checkout are powering ChatGPT Plus, OpenAI’s premium subscription offering of ChatGPT. Using Checkout’s prebuilt hosted payments page, OpenAI offers one-time purchases, monthly or usage-based subscriptions, and reaches global customers with more than 25 payment methods.
- Stripe Billing offers DALL·E users a flexible, pay-as-you-go option to purchase DALL·E credits, which enable customers to generate new images.
- Link, an evolution of Stripe’s Remember Me product, lets OpenAI users pay 40% faster on average by autofilling saved payment details. OpenAI is now part of the Link network, which allows tens of millions of users to check out faster with networked payment details saved across hundreds of thousands of businesses.
- Stripe Tax supports OpenAI to meet its tax compliance obligations as it expands into global markets.
- Revenue Recognition helps OpenAI stay on top of its finances—including managing disputes and refunds at scale—so it can accurately close its books each month.
Seventy-five percent of the leading generative AI companies have signed up with Stripe to go to market quickly, scale with compliance in mind, and bring their products to many more users worldwide. They include OpenAI, Runway, Diagram, and Moonbeam.
“As these new AI companies proliferate, we’re helping them with smart monetization strategies that get their products into more hands. Personally, I’m excited to easily buy more DALL·E credits and continue my forays into AI-assisted painting,” said David Singleton, chief technology officer at Stripe.
Enhancing Stripe with GPT-4
Stripe has long used artificial intelligence to enhance its products and experiences for users, including to help users manage fraud and increase conversion rates. After joining the GPT-4 beta in January, Stripe identified a range of ways to use the technology to streamline operations and help users get the information they need, faster. One of the first outputs of this effort is GPT-powered Stripe Docs.
This enhancement to Stripe’s high-quality documentation will allow developers to pose natural language queries within Stripe Docs to GPT-4, which will answer by summarizing the relevant parts of the documentation or extracting specific pieces of information. This lets developers spend less time reading and more time building.
“Like the introduction of email, smartphones, or videoconferencing, GPT-4 has the potential to fundamentally rewire—and improve—how businesses run,” said Eugene Mann, product lead for applied machine learning at Stripe. “By integrating GPT-4, Stripe is giving our users the most advanced tools to help them build and grow online.”