Installments is a feature of consumer credit cards in some markets that allows customers to split purchases over multiple billing statements. You receive the full amount (minus a fee) as if it were a normal charge, and the customer’s bank handles collecting the money over time.
Other types of installments
Installments in Mexico
In Mexico, installments are known as meses sin intereses. Stripe supports meses sin intereses payments for Stripe Mexico accounts using the Payment Intents and Payment Methods APIs, Checkout, Invoicing, Payment Element, and Payment Links.
When you accept a meses sin intereses payment, an additional fee is added to the standard credit card transaction fee.
Get started with accepting meses sin intereses.
You can use Stripe Connect with meses sin intereses to process payments on behalf of connected accounts. As a platform, you can set the default meses sin intereses configuration for your connected accounts in Mexico. Standard connected accounts can override these settings in the Dashboard.
Connectors and plugins
A variety of connectors and plugins that integrate with Stripe also support meses sin intereses. These connectors provide no-code and low-code solutions for accepting a wide range of local payment methods using Stripe, including meses sin intereses.
For example, the latest version of the Stripe Connector for Adobe Commerce has built-in support for accepting payments with meses sin intereses. For information regarding setup instructions and features for specific plugins, contact the plugin developers directly.
If you use a plugin that doesn’t yet support meses sin intereses, you can contact our support team to let us know, and we’ll do our best to see if we can enable meses sin intereses for that plugin.
When you accept a payment with meses sin intereses, an additional fee is added to the standard credit card transaction fee. The fee varies according to the number of installments, or months, applied to the transaction.
|Installment Plan Duration||Default Minimum Transaction Amount||Additional Fee %|
|3 months||300.00 MXN||5%|
|6 months||600.00 MXN||7.5%|
|9 months||900.00 MXN||10%|
|12 months||1,200.00 MXN||12.5%|
|18 months||1,800.00 MXN||17.5%|
|24 months||2,400.00 MXN||22.5%|
There are restrictions on which transactions and cards can use meses sin intereses. You don’t need to implement these rules yourself. Stripe automatically determines meses sin intereses eligibility after you set up the payment method.
- Stripe only supports installments for Stripe Mexico accounts.
- The payment method must be a credit card issued in Mexico.
- The card must be a consumer card–installments don’t support corporate cards.
- The card must be issued by one of our supported issuers.
- The currency value must be MXN (pesos).
- The total payment amount must be above a minimum transaction amount. Stripe provides a minimum transaction amount based on the number of months in the plan selected. You can specify which installment plans you want to enable and define your own custom minimum and maximum transaction amounts by configuring custom installment settings in the Dashboard.
You can accept payments in Installments on cards from the following issuers:
- American Express
- Banca Mifel
- Banco Azteca
- Banco Famsa
- Banco Invex
- Banco Multiva
- Citibanamex (3-, 6-, 9-, and 12-month plans only)
- Hey Banco