Buy now, pay later methods let customers pay in installments over time. You’re paid immediately and in full and your customers pay nothing or a portion of the total at purchase time. Buy now, pay later methods are often used by:
- Retailers selling high value goods and services like luxury items or travel fares that want to boost conversion.
- Retailers selling low value goods and services that want to increase average cart size and reach new customers who might not have credit cards.
Buy now, pay later methods might not be a good fit for your business if:
- Your customers are businesses. Buy now, pay later methods offered on Stripe are only supported for consumers.
- Your business relies on subscriptions or recurring purchases. Buy now, pay later methods don’t currently support Invoicing or Subscriptions.
Read our Buy Now, Pay Later Guide for more information.
At checkout, the customer chooses to pay with a buy now, pay later service. Then the customer creates or logs into an account with the buy now, pay later provider. Next, the customer accepts or declines the terms of the repayment plan, and then returns to the business’ site.
|Payment method||Customer country||Repayment options||Transaction limit||Payment Intents||Checkout||Connect||Payment Element||Payment Links||Mobile Payment Element||Invoicing||Subscriptions|
|Affirm||Canada, United States||50 USD minimum; 30,000 USD maximum or local equivalent*|
|Afterpay/Clearpay||Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States||1 USD minimum; 4,000 USD maximum or local equivalent|
|Klarna||Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czechia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States||10 USD minimum or local equivalent. (5,000 USD+ for financing possible; maximum varies by customer)|
|Zip||Australia||0.01 AUD minimum. 50,000 AUD maximum**|
- * The maximum credit limit for Affirm is 20,000 USD or 20,000 CAD. However, Affirm supports transactions up to 30,000 USD or 30,000 CAD. These transactions require a down payment from the customer at time of purchase. Term lengths and cart ranges are determined by Affirm and may change at their discretion.
- ** Zip offers two products, Zip Pay with a credit limit of 1,000 AUD and Zip Money with a maximum credit limit of 50,000 AUD depending on the users’ eligibility
Adding on site messaging to your website
Let your customers know you accept one or more of these payment methods by including the Payment Method Messaging Element on your product and cart pages.