Stripe Terminal is an API-driven solution for accepting in-person payments. The Stripe Terminal SDKs make it easy to integrate the Stripe payments platform into an in-person checkout experience, with first-class support for both native mobile and web applications.
With Stripe Terminal, you can take full advantage of Stripe’s integrated payments platform: initiate a subscription in-store with Billing, or let your platform users start taking in-person payments with Connect.
How Stripe Terminal works
A Stripe Terminal integration starts with your application running at a physical location. Using our SDK, your application communicates with a reader to collect physical payment methods from your customers. Your backend acts as a trusted intermediary for requests from our SDK to Stripe’s APIs.
Choosing a reader and SDK
You can integrate with Stripe Terminal using two different SDK and reader combinations.
- You want to build a mobile-first experience, for card-present payment acceptance driven by an iOS device
- You want to build a “clienteling” experience, where roaming in-store cashiers can accept payment right next to the customer
- You prefer a mobile, Bluetooth-enabled card reader, versus one that must be plugged in
- You’d like a fully branded customer experience, using a device that provides a customizable splash screen, and dynamic messaging to the customer during a transaction
- You prefer a countertop checkout experience, anchored to a traditional, desk-based, point-of-sale station
The Stripe Terminal Android SDK is in active development. If you’re interested in using the Android SDK, please let us know and we’ll be in touch as soon as it’s ready. We will also be expanding support for the countertop reader in the iOS (and Android) SDKs, and adding additional reader models.
Read on to started with your Stripe Terminal integration!