With Stripe Terminal, you can integrate Stripe payments into your existing in-person checkout flow or build in-person payments into your native mobile or web-based application.
Terminal comes with easy-to-use SDKs for modern development environments, pre-certified readers, and tools for ordering and managing readers from the Stripe Dashboard. It works seamlessly with other Stripe products, letting you build a SaaS platform or marketplace using Connect or initiate subscriptions in-store with Billing. Terminal reduces the burden of compliance, deployment, and logistics—so you can focus on building your ideal in-person payments experience.
Terminal’s features are designed to take the complexity out of in-person payments:
- Online compatibility: Unify your online and in-person payments in a single system
- Reader choices: Choose from different readers to achieve the checkout experience you want
- Easy ordering & fleet management: Order pre-certified readers and monitor your fleet of readers from the Stripe Dashboard
How Terminal works
A Stripe Terminal deployment consists of four main components:
- Your web-based or mobile application
- Your backend
- A Stripe Terminal reader
- The Stripe Terminal SDK
Stripe Terminal offers a selection of pre-certified readers that accept payment details (EMV, contactless, and swiped), encrypt sensitive card information, and return a token to your application (through the Stripe Terminal SDK) so you can confirm payment.
You can order readers and accessories from the Stripe Dashboard and get them shipped to a location of your choice. As a Connect platform, you can even enable your connected accounts to receive readers and accessories at their business location.
Stripe Terminal is built with developers in mind. Its flexible design supports a wide range of use cases:
- Extend your online business to the physical world
- Enable in-person payments for your Connect platform, with readers for each connected account
- Collect payments in-person and use those card details for recurring online payments with Billing
- Build a new, customized point of sale application or integrate with your existing point of sale application, while taking advantage of the Stripe API for processing payments
Choose an SDK that works best for you and combine it with a reader that provides the user experience you want. This documentation provides all the information you need to design your in-person payments solution, order readers and accessories, integrate, and deploy.
Scope of integration
The full scope of an integration consists of four major steps.
- Use the example applications to get up and running with an integration in minutes.
- Design your integration to create your ideal in-person payments experience.
- Order a physical reader and test card.
Read on to get started with Terminal!