Tap to Pay allows you to process in-person, contactless payments using only your phone as the point of sale device, with no additional hardware required. The Stripe Dashboard app allows you to use the Tap to Pay feature through your Stripe account without writing any code or needing a mobile app of your own.
- Stripe account
- Stripe iOS or Android Dashboard app
- Location permissions enabled
- iOS: iPhone XS or later running iOS 16.0 or later
- Android: A compatible Android device as described in our supported devices documentation
Accept a Tap to Pay contactless payment
- Open your Stripe Dashboard mobile app.
- Tap the plus symbol () from any tab.
- Select Charge a card or send an invoice.
- Enter the amount to charge.
- Select Tap to Pay as your payment acceptance option.
- iOS only: Review and accept the Apple Acceptance Platform User Terms and Conditions.
- When the Tap to Pay symbol appears, prompt your customer to tap their card to the device by following the instructions on screen.
- The payment confirmation page signals successful completion of the transaction.
Other ways to accept in-person payments
If you’re unable to accept a Tap to Pay payment, consider other options:
- Select Charge a card as your payment acceptance option and enter your customer’s card information manually
- iOS only: Create a Payment Link and have your customer scan the QR code to pay
If you’re a developer looking to build Tap to Pay functionality into your mobile app, see the Tap to Pay integration guide.
Maximum and minimum limits on charge amounts apply when accepting payments. For more information on limits, see Minimum and maximum charge amounts.