Set up Stripe to send important email notifications and reminders to your customers. Certain email notifications contain a link to a Stripe-hosted page that customers can use to confirm or update their payment details.
You can configure Stripe to send email notifications or reminders to your customer:
- Upon failed payment attempts.
- After Stripe finalizes an invoice.
- With receipts after invoices are paid.
- When a payment requires 3D Secure.
- When a card on file is about to expire.
- If a one-off invoice hasn’t been paid. Invoicing Plus
Before you start sending email notifications and reminders, you can customize your branding.
You can send one-off invoice email reminders to your customers using the Dashboard or API. If you’d like to send an email reminder about an expiring card, go to Prevent failed payments.
You can send email notifications to your customers by configuring your Dashboard settings:
- To send an email notification when a card payment fails, go to Manage failed payments.
- To email finalized invoices, navigate to Manage invoices sent to customers.
- If you’d like to send an email notification with a receipt after a successful payment, go to your Email settings.
3D Secure payments
If charging a customer’s card on file requires them to complete 3D Secure authentication and you’ve enabled Send a Stripe-hosted link for cardholders to authenticate when required in your 3D Secure settings, Stripe sends an email. The email links to a Stripe-hosted page where they can confirm the payment.
Additional email recipients
You can provide additional recipients to your customer’s Billing emails (including receipts sent after successful payments) using the Dashboard.
- Go to the Customers page in your Dashboard.
- Click the customer you want to add email recipients for to open the customer’s detail page.
- Click the Edit link in the Details section of the left pane to open the Update customer dialog.
- In the Billing information section of the Update customer dialog, unselect the Same as account email checkbox.
- (Optional) Set the value of the displayed field to a comma-separated list of emails that should be in the “To” line of Billing emails. If you leave this field blank, Stripe continues to use the account email.
- Click the Add more recipients link to access the Emails to CC field. Set the value of the field to a comma-separated list of email addresses that you want in the CC line of Billing (Invoice and Subscription) emails.
If you add recipients to the Customer using the previous steps, Stripe automatically pre-populates these emails to invoices you send through the Dashboard.
Create an email template
Through webhooks, Stripe can notify you of changes to your invoices—like when they’re finalized, paid, or marked uncollectible. For each event that you receive, you can construct and deliver your own emails. To create your own custom-designed email templates to replace Stripe’s pre-built emails, use the Invoice template. If you disable emailing finalized invoices, Stripe continues to send webhooks so that you can use the reminders for your own email solution. To learn more, see Webhooks and invoices.
Email PDF attachments
When Stripe emails an invoice, we automatically include a PDF attachment of the same invoice to assist your customer with record keeping. If you turn on emails for successful payments—and an invoice is set to charge automatically—the receipt email includes a PDF attachment of both the original invoice and the invoice receipt.
Visit Invoice settings to disable this behavior.