In the customer portal, you can let your customers cancel their subscriptions. This option is enabled by default.
You can also enable other options to:
Configure these options in the customer portal settings page of the Stripe Dashboard.
You can also create a customized deep link workfow for cancellations.
Collect a cancellation reason
After a customer cancels their subscription, you can collect a reason for their cancellation. In the customer portal settings, you can select the reasons that your customers see from the following list.
- It’s too expensive
- I need more features
- I found an alternative
- I no longer need it
- Customer service was less than expected
- Ease of use was less than expected
- Quality was less than expected
- Other reason
If a customer selects Other reason, they can optionally enter additional free text.
Finding cancellation reasons
You can find the cancellation reasons that users select in the following places:
- Billing > Subscriptions > subscription details page
- Stripe Sigma
- Learn more about subscription webhook events.
Deflect cancellations in the customer portal
When a customer cancels their subscription in the customer portal, you can attempt to deflect the cancellation by offering a retention coupon.
Only available with Billing Scale
Cancellation deflection requires Billing Scale pricing.
To set up a retention coupon to deflect cancellations:
- Go to the Settings > customer portal page.
- Expand the Cancellations section.
- Select a coupon in the drop-down under Retention Coupon.
If you don’t have a coupon already, you can build one inline. Learn more about coupons.