Stripe Connect is a full-stack solution for using Stripe’s capabilities on behalf of others. Connect provides a powerful API and other tools you need to make charges, as well as onboard, verify, and pay sellers, contractors, service providers: whomever your business’s users are.
You can tailor your integration in various ways, including:
- Specifying how money moves from the customer to you, and ultimately to your platform’s sellers or recipients
- Collecting fees for your service
- Assigning payout schedules and payout methods
- Supporting different types of Stripe accounts
You can connect your platform to existing Stripe accounts or create new ones.
Connect use cases
Connect is a flexible and potent combination of features designed to support a wide range of uses:
- Crowdfunding services, like Kickstarter and Ulule
- E-commerce platforms, like Shopify and ASOS marketplaces
- Marketplaces, like OfferUp and Catawiki
- On-demand services, like Lyft and Glovo
- Invoicing solutions, like Xero
- Booking platforms, like OpenTable
- Travel and event providers, like Tito and Musement
Or if you have another business model that simply needs the ability to pay out businesses or individuals, Connect is likely the right solution.
Key Connect components
Connect begins by registering your Stripe account as a platform. Third parties—sellers, contractors, and so forth—then associate their Stripe accounts with your platform account. Or your platform can create Stripe accounts for them.
In designing a Connect integration, the platform decides what Stripe account types to support. There are three types—Standard, Express, and Custom—each with different responsibilities and levels of control.
|Integration effort||Lowest||Low||Typically higher|
|Ideal for users that are:||Experienced online businesses||Individuals||Any type|
Regardless of the type of account in use, once a third party associates their Stripe account with a platform, the platform can use the full power of the Stripe API on their behalf, including:
- Processing charges
- Specifying the flow of funds
- Managing refunds and disputes
If you know what type of platform you’d like to build, we’ve written up some sample recipes for specific types of platforms:
- On-demand apps: building an app like Lyft or Handy.
- Store builders: allowing other people to sell on your platform, like Squarespace or Bigcommerce.
Even if you’re not striving for one of those exactly, these examples should help you figure out how you’d implement yours.
Connect is available for platforms and Standard accounts in any country Stripe supports. Platforms in any supported country can create Express accounts for individuals and sole proprietorships in the United States.
Custom accounts are only supported for platforms located in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, or the United States.
Read on to get started with Connect!