Information you’re asked to provide
We ask you to provide the following information:
Select the type of entity structure that is right for you. Stripe Atlas supports forming Delaware C Corporations, LLCs, and C Corporation subsidiaries.
Enter a legal name for your company (you can check if a name is available on Delaware’s website).
If you’re creating the new company as a subsidiary of an existing company, you also need to provide the following information about the existing parent company:
- Parent company legal name
- Parent company country
- Parent company tax ID number
Description of your company
Company description: provide a few sentences to describe your company. We review this description to make sure that we can support your business.
Company website: a website or social media profile for your business. This is optional and helps us process your company more quickly.
If you don’t yet have an official company address, you can use a virtual or home address.
Company U.S. phone number
You are not required to provide a company phone number to use Atlas. Providing a phone number can expedite receiving your tax ID, which you need before you can accept payments through Stripe. We never call you for marketing purposes.
We need to know a bit about you and any co-founders:
- First and last name (i.e. your name on a government ID)
- Email address
- Date of birth (only for the founder who submits the Atlas form)
- Home address
Founder split: enter in the percentage of the company each founder owns.
Roles and Officers
Board of Directors (or LLC Managers): choose who can make important company decisions.
C Corporation and Subsidiary roles: name a president and secretary for your company:
- President: responsible for general company management
- Secretary: responsible for maintaining company records
Tax ID - Employer Identification Number (EIN)
Choose one of two ways to get your company’s tax ID (EIN) from the IRS:
- Standard (available to everyone): 21 - 35 business days after incorporation
- Expedited (limited): 7 - 14 business days after incorporation for no additional cost. Available for companies that meet the following IRS criteria:
- If the account opener provides U.S. Social Security number (SSN), U.S. company address, and U.S. phone number
- Does not own a highway motor vehicle with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more
- Does not need to file Form 720 (Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return)
- Does not have or expect to have any employees who will receive a Form W-2 in the next 12 months
- Does not involve gambling or wagering
- Does not sell or manufacture alcohol, tobacco, or firearms
Review your information and make sure everything looks right. Once you submit, we’ll process your paperwork. If you need to make changes after you submit, we can connect you to a lawyer.
We charge $500 USD for company incorporation and then $100 USD annually each year to be your registered agent.
We only charge when your company is successfully incorporated. We won’t charge you if you do not submit or we are unable to support your business (read more about Stripe’s restricted businesses).
How Stripe uses your information
What happens after you sign your documents?
After you sign your documents and submit the form, we review your information to ensure we have everything we need to form your company and to check that we can support your business usually within 1 - 2 business days. We may ask you clarifying questions or request additional details regarding your company. We’ll send you an email once these steps are completed, and you can also track progress in the Dashboard.
We form your company after you submit and we review your information.
After your company is formed, you can view your documents in the Company page of your Dashboard.
How Stripe Atlas gets your tax ID (EIN)
After incorporation, we use your Form SS-4 to request an EIN for your company from the IRS. You also complete Form 8821, which allows us to call the IRS on your behalf to get your company’s EIN as fast as possible.
If you have a Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), Stripe Atlas can request an EIN on your company’s behalf through an online, expedited process that takes 7 - 14 business days. If you don’t have a SSN or ITIN, it generally takes 21 - 35 business days to receive your company’s EIN in your Dashboard and 6 - 8 weeks (or longer) to receive it by physical mail. After your company has its EIN, your company can activate Stripe payments, open a business banking account, and file U.S. tax returns.