Konbini allows customers in Japan to pay for bills and online purchases at convenience stores with cash.
To complete a transaction, customers receive payment codes for specific convenience stores along with a confirmation number. Customers then bring the information to a convenience store to make a cash payment. You will receive payment confirmation instantly, while funds will be available for payout after 4 business days.
Customers can pay at FamilyMart, Lawson, Ministop and Seicomart stores across Japan.
You don’t actually have to integrate Konbini and other payment methods individually. If you use our front-end products, Stripe automatically determines the most relevant payment methods to display. Follow a quickstart for one of our hosted UIs:
After setting up your payment form, activate the payment methods you want using the Stripe Dashboard.
Other payment products
The following Stripe products also support adding Konbini from the Dashboard:
If you prefer to manually list payment methods, learn how to manually configure Konbini as a payment.
Konbini payments have a low risk of fraud or unrecognized payments because the customer must provide cash payment in person at a convenience store. Generally Konbini payments cannot be disputed by the customer. However, in rare instances irregularities similar in nature to disputes (by the convenience store) might arise, (for example, due to mishandling). Stripe will need to reach out to you in such cases and ask for your cooperation.
Konbini payments can be refunded either through the Dashboard or API. To complete a refund, your customer must provide account information where funds should be returned to. Stripe automatically contacts the customer at the email address provided at time of PaymentIntent confirmation and requests this information from them, after which the refund is processed automatically.
Due to the in-person nature of Konbini payments, automatically charged invoices are not supported.
Invoices and subscriptions need to be configured with a collection_method of
Prohibited business categories
On top of the categories of businesses restricted from using Stripe overall, the following categories are specifically prohibited from using Konbini.
- Sole proprietors who have been doing business for less than 3 years
- Real Money Trading (RMT), that is, sale of virtual (in-game) characters, currency, and so on.
- Information selling, in particular:
- Money making schemes
- Investment related information
- Gambling strategies for horse racing, pachinko, slot machines, and so on
- Multi-level marketing and pyramid schemes
- Gore content or products
- Unscientific and superstition-based content or products
- Prohibited medical products (per the Japanese Pharmaceutical Affairs Act)
- Content or products offensive to public order or moral
- Personal import facilitation (forwarding)
- Foreign money transfer
- Dating sites
- E-cigarettes (vaping), waterpipes (shisha, hookah), and so on
Please keep in mind that our financial partner and convenience store chains may reject businesses at their discretion regardless of category.