Linking your financial account(s) helps Stripe better understand and support your business. By authorizing Stripe to access your financial account information, we will be able to optimize the services we provide you, offer you new Stripe products or features that meet your business’ evolving needs, and improve your overall customer experience with Stripe. You can control the accounts you share with Stripe, and the products that use this information through the linked accounts settings page. You are always in control of your accounts and can unlink your financial accounts at any time.
Some uses of your financial account information may include:
- Linking your financial account for payouts
- Assessing eligibility and terms for loans or other Stripe products
- Enabling additional Stripe product features
- Reassessing reserve balances
Frequently asked questions
What data does Stripe access from my financial account(s)?
With your consent, Stripe may access information from your selected account(s), including the following:
- Account Details: account type, account number, current balance, and historical balances;
- Contact Information: your name, email address, phone number, physical address, etc. held by your financial account; and
- Account Transactions: each transaction’s amount, date, and description.
Stripe uses different information to power your Stripe product experiences. The information available to Stripe may vary based on the information your financial account or a technology partner makes available. To see what accounts you’ve linked to Stripe and the information shared with different Stripe products, please visit the linked accounts settings page.
How do you use my financial account data?
Your business financial account information may be used to provide you with a product or service, set the terms of a product or service, offer you new financial products or services and/or improve products or services provided to you by Stripe. The following Stripe products and services rely on your financial account information:
- Payouts: Stripe uses your financial account information (specifically, account number and routing number) to verify your financial account and pay out to the linked account. You may link this account during onboarding, or at a later point through your linked accounts settings page in the Stripe dashboard.
- Risk: Stripe uses your financial account information to determine whether a reserve is required, and the appropriate amount for that reserve. Because your business (and risk) profile may change during your relationship with Stripe, linking your financial account enables Stripe to reassess your risk profile on an ongoing basis and may help reduce or eliminate reserve requirements.
- Corporate Card: Stripe uses your financial account information as part of the underwriting process to determine your Corporate Card credit limit. This credit limit may change based on changes in your financial account information. If you unlink your financial account(s), your ability to use Corporate Card may be suspended.
- Capital: Stripe Capital uses your financial account information to help determine your eligibility for a loan and the details of your loan offer.
How frequently do you obtain my account data from my business’ financial account?
Different products require updated data on different cadences to power your Stripe experience. For certain use cases, including assessing your risk reserves, we may obtain your financial account information as often as daily, as this information is critical to understanding your business’ risk profile on an ongoing basis. Similarly, for Corporate Card, we may monitor your financial account data on a daily, ongoing basis to determine whether a change in your credit limit is appropriate. For other products, such as Capital, we may only periodically obtain your financial account information, such as once per week or per month.
How long do you retain my financial information?
We retain your financial account information as long as we are providing services to you. Even if you close your Stripe account, we retain your financial account information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations. We also retain financial account information to comply with our tax, accounting, and financial reporting obligations, to meet contractual commitments to our financial partners, and where data retention is mandated by the payment methods that we support. Where we retain data, we do so in accordance with any limitation periods and records retention obligations that are imposed by applicable law.
How will Stripe share my financial account information?
How do I revoke consent?
You can revoke your consent at any time by visiting your linked accounts settings page and unlinking any of the connected accounts by clicking “Remove account.” When you revoke consent through the linked accounts settings page, we will stop obtaining your account data.
What if I don’t share my financial account information with Stripe?
If you decide not to link a financial account, or decide to unlink a financial account, you may not be eligible to receive offers for additional products or services, enhancements to existing products or services, or may receive products or services on different terms. In some circumstances, you may be asked to provide alternative information, including financial statements. In other circumstances, you may not be eligible for certain products, services or features without providing financial account information.
Can I control which Stripe products use my account data?
Yes. As a default, when you link your financial account(s), your financial account information will be shared with Stripe products, as reflected on the linked accounts settings page. Please visit the linked accounts settings page to control which Stripe products receive and use your data. You can also opt out of sharing your financial account information. However, as described above, certain products and features may not be available if you elect to unlink or disconnect your business’ financial account.
Who are “trusted entities” that may receive, store, and use my account data?
What is the relationship between Stripe and Stripe’s technology partner?
Stripe works with a third-party data aggregator, Finicity, to obtain the data that you have consented to share with Stripe and trusted entities. When you input your login information in the credential pane, you may be sharing this information with Finicity or otherwise granting Finicity permission to access your account(s). Finicity will use your login information or authorization to continually obtain your account information, and provide this information to Stripe and other trusted entities that you authorize to receive your data.
Is my financial account information safe?
We maintain organizational, technical and administrative measures designed to protect financial account information within our organization against unauthorized access, destruction, loss, alteration or misuse. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of your account has been compromised), please contact us immediately.