To see the complete Express onboarding flow in action, try the sample end-to-end Express integration before you start building your own. This demo includes an example of a user onboarding experience and account management for Rocket Rides, an on-demand marketplace.
You can find the demo’s complete source code on GitHub.
Prerequisites for using Express
To create Express accounts, you must meet all of these requirements:
- Minimum API version: Express requires the API version 2017-05-25 or later. Capabilities in Express require the API version 2019-02-19 or later.
- Platform in a supported country: Platforms in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, the United Kingdom, and the United States can create Express accounts for any country Stripe supports. There are certain restrictions when using Connect for Stripe Thailand. If you would like to be notified when platforms in your country can use Express accounts, let us know.
- Platforms in the UAE: Platforms in the UAE can only create Express accounts based in the UAE with the following charge types: destination_charges and separate charges and transfers. Destination charges using the on_behalf_of attribute are not yet supported for UAE platforms.
- Vetting for fraud: Your platform is ultimately responsible for losses incurred by Express accounts. To best protect against this, you need to closely examine all accounts that sign up using your platform for potential fraud. Refer to our best practices guide for more information.
- Platform profile: You need to complete your platform’s profile.
Onboarding Express Accounts outside of your platform’s country
You can enable onboarding on a per-country basis in the Connect Settings section of your Dashboard.
The Express account onboarding flow is currently localized in English, French, Spanish, Bulgarian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Swedish, and Thai.
Keep the following in mind when onboarding accounts globally:
- International business: Your platform is responsible for understanding the implications of doing business internationally, such as tax and financial reporting.
- Charge flows: Be sure to review your options for creating charges based on the countries you intend to operate in.
- Service agreement type: Your platform can create connected accounts under the recipient service agreement to enable cross-border transfers. Such accounts have restricted access to capabilities.