With Express accounts, you can quickly onboard users so they can be paid immediately. You can customize the branding of the Express onboarding flow and dashboard. Stripe hosts the dashboard—you can grant access through your platform so your users can access it.
If you’re new to Connect, start with one of our guides to use Express accounts with your application:
- Collect payments and then pay out, if you’ll process payments with Stripe
- Pay out money, if you’ll add money from a bank account to pay out
To see the complete Express onboarding flow in action, try the sample end-to-end Express integration before you start building your own. This demo includes an example of a user onboarding experience and account management for Rocket Rides, an on-demand marketplace.
You can find the demo’s complete source code on GitHub.
Prerequisites for using Express
To create Express accounts, you must meet all of these requirements:
- Minimum API version: Express requires the API version 2017-05-25 or later. Capabilities in Express require the API version 2019-02-19 or later.
- Platform in a supported country: Platforms in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States can create Express accounts for any country Stripe supports.
- Vetting for fraud: Your platform is ultimately responsible for losses incurred by Express accounts. To best protect against this, you need to closely examine all accounts that sign up using your platform for potential fraud. Refer to our best practices guide for more information.
- Platform profile: You need to complete your platform’s profile.
Onboarding Express Accounts outside of your platform’s country
You can enable onboarding on a per-country basis in the Connect Settings section of your dashboard.
The Express account onboarding flow is currently localized in English, French, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, and Swedish.
Keep the following in mind when onboarding accounts globally:
- International business: Your platform is responsible for understanding the implications of doing business internationally, such as tax and financial reporting.
- Charge flows: Be sure to review your options for creating charges based on the countries you intend to operate in.
- Service agreement type: Your platform can create connected accounts under the recipient service agreement to enable cross-border transfers. Such accounts have restricted access to capabilities.
How to use Connect Onboarding for Express accounts
- Go to your Connect settings page to customize the visual appearance of the form with your brand’s name, color, and icon. Connect Onboarding requires this information.
- Use the
/v1/accountsAPI to create a new account and get the account ID. You can prefill information on the account object for the user before you generate the account link. You must pass the following parameter:
- Call the Account Links API with the following parameters. For more parameters, see the API ref.
- In the onboarding flow for your own platform, redirect your user to the
urlreturned by Account Links.
- Handle additional account states, redirecting your user to the Connect Onboarding flow if necessary.