If you need to file a correction for a tax form, you can update the data in the form and then generate a corrected form to file. The Tax forms page of the Dashboard displays corrected forms.
You can correct most boxes on a tax form. Depending on when you submit a correction and what you’re correcting, penalties may apply.
The IRS generally allows you to correct totals or payee information.
When you correct totals, a single form replaces the original and includes the original payee information, new totals, and a checked Corrected checkbox.
When you correct payee information, two forms replace the original:
- The first form includes the original payee information, zeroes for all totals, and a checked Corrected checkbox.
- The second form includes the new payee information, original totals, and an unchecked Corrected checkbox (because this is the first form received by the new payee).
The IRS imposes certain requirements on tax form corrections.
You can’t correct:
- The payee name and form totals in the same form
- The payee tax identification number and form totals in the same form
- Tax forms that the IRS hasn’t accepted
- The form type (for example, 1099-MISC to 1099-NEC)
Create a correction
You can only correct tax forms that the IRS has accepted. To start a correction, update the data in the tax forms. You can use either the Tax form editor or CSV export to update the tax form. After you update the form, select the updated form on the Tax forms page, then click Correct to create a correction.
Corrections use the same CSV schema as updates and are filed regardless of filing threshold. This allows you to zero out a tax form that was accidentally filed or to correct a tax form to have a lower volume. You can use filing_requirement to further control whether or not to file a correction.
View or cancel a correction
Tax form corrections have a Correction badge in the tax forms list and on the detail pane in the Dashboard. You can download previous versions of a tax form from the detail pane. To cancel a correction before filing, click Cancel correction from the menu on the detail pane.