Underwriting Analyst - Risk and Atlas San Francisco
Fight fraud and enable payments for entrepreneurs around the world.
Stripe is responsible for fueling the payments of tens of thousands of businesses across the globe. As an underwriting analyst you’ll work on two of the most challenging problems at the company: fighting fraud and enabling access for international entrepreneurs.
As a risk underwriter, you will ensure safe payments for our users and help Stripe mitigate fraud. The stakes are high, and you will be up against ever-changing and always-improving opponents. You’ll work closely with our risk analysts and engineers to keep Stripe and our users safe by monitoring accounts, spotting fraud patterns and rooting out suspicious behavior.
As an Atlas underwriter, you’ll review applications from entrepreneurs, communicate and consult with them, and collaborate with partners and colleagues to make our overall process more effective. Since its launch in February 2016, Atlas has helped entrepreneurs in more than 110 countries build global companies. Stripe’s mission is to expand the GDP of the Internet, and we’re working on this because we believe that developers around the world should have equal access to the tools and services essential to starting a business.
- Monitor accounts and transactions to identify fraudulent behavior and work closely with our risk analysts to identify persistent trends.
- Work closely with our users to ensure compliance with Stripe’s Terms of Service.
- Communicate with entrepreneurs to understand their business, and consult with them on how to use Stripe in an effective and compliant way.
- Refine tools and practices to increase the efficiency of application reviews, the accuracy of our decisions, and the quality of entrepreneurs’ experience.
- Work with internal and external partners to support entrepreneurs around the world.
- Gain unique insights into the global startup landscape.
- Enable businesses to get started on Atlas in a way that delivers an exceptional user experience, while protecting Stripe, our partners, and the financial system.
We’re looking for people who:
- Can think critically about complex problems, appropriately weight many factors and reach a definitive conclusion.
- Are efficient, and enjoy working in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Love writing, and can do so quickly and clearly.
- Have deep empathy for entrepreneurs starting a business, and are motivated to solve problems to empower them.
- Are persistent and thorough, willing to go the extra mile to understand specific cases and examine underlying causes.
- Are curious, decisive, understanding and persistent.
Nice to have:
- Experience with payments, risk, compliance, or the financial industry
- Experience in a role supporting users at a technology company
- This role is based at our headquarters in San Francisco.
- This will be a 9-12 month fixed-term position
Include these in your application:
- Your resume or LinkedIn profile.
- Your answer to the following: given free reign, what are one or two improvements you would have made to the processes at a company or organization where you have worked? - How would you assess if the change(s) was (were) successful?
We look forward to hearing from you.