Underwriting Analyst San Francisco
As Stripe continues to grow and innovate, the impact of our actions on customers, businesses, and financial partners similarly increases in size and complexity. The Risk Team sits at the intersection of protecting Stripe, practicing stewardship on behalf of our partners, and our constant drive to delight our users. We balance thorough investigation and perceptive decision making with awareness and care for our impact. As the foundation of the Risk Team, Underwriting Analysts help protect Stripe, our users, and their customers from the wide range of risks that come with navigating the world of payments.
On a given day, each underwriter reviews over 100 businesses who either wish to use Stripe or are currently using the platform. While doing so, they determine how a business is operating, which risks, if any, the businesses or its customers may pose, and most importantly what to do about it. Though we make these judgements repeatedly, the diversity of businesses types, sizes, and geographies on Stripe, the variety of Stripe products they may use, and the gamut of risks they could pose, ensure that no two days are the same.
Our Underwriters come from a whole host of different backgrounds and experiences. This is a great role for people looking to dip their feet into the world of Risk or tech. No specific work or educational experience is necessary; we’ll support you with the tools and training you need to succeed.
- Review individual Stripe accounts and transactions to identify a host of risky behaviors including fraudulent activity, large credit exposure and potential non-compliance banking regulations or partner requirements.
- Work with merchants to enact appropriate risk mitigations.
- Partner with our Risk Strategists, Insights Analysts, and Risk Engineers to help refine tools and practices to increase the efficiency of manual reviews, the accuracy of our decisions, and the quality of entrepreneurs’ experience on Stripe.
- Develop, document and share best underwriting practices with the wider Risk team.
- Interface with internal and external partners to enable the growth of businesses around the world.
- Become a subject matter expert in a particular area of underwriting, such as catching malicious users, evaluating business models for supportability, or partnering with high volume users experiencing chargebacks.
We’re looking for people who:
- Are curious, committed, and thorough: willing to go the extra mile to understand specific cases.
- Like looking for patterns amongst the details.
- Can think critically about complex problems, and weigh up conflicting information to reach the best conclusion.
- Are collaborative team members who look out for opportunities to share knowledge and best practices with teammates.
- Are self-reflective, lifelong learners who are excited about the prospect of working in an ever-changing environment.
- This role is based at our headquarters in San Francisco.
- This will be a 15-month, fixed-term position.
Include these in your application:
- Your resume or LinkedIn profile.
We look forward to hearing from you.