Tax Specialist San Francisco
Be a part of building the Finance team at Stripe!
Become a key member of the small but fast growing Stripe tax team. Help us scale our international tax operations across twenty six (and counting!) countries and build amazing tax products for our hundreds of thousands of users.
Our tax team has a unique role at Stripe. Not only do we handle tax planning and compliance, but also we partner with Stripe’s product teams to build tax products that help our users run their businesses. We work with Stripes across the company to support our tax structure and growing product portfolio. Our projects range from determining the most efficient way to integrate new products and markets into our existing operating structure, to working with our product managers to determine how best to create seamless and compliant user experiences.
The position will be based in San Francisco and report to our Head of Tax.
- Help run our international tax operations, while at the same time, contributing to the development, implementation and maintenance of our tax products.
- Be involved with worldwide tax compliance and tax controversy matters.
- Work directly with our product managers, sales, and business operations teams to determine how changes in our products and services could impact tax. This ranges from taxability of our products and services in new countries (VAT, GST) to user information reporting in existing markets (1099-K’s, invoicing).
- Work directly with our product and engineering teams to incorporate tax requirements into our product and service offerings.
- Solve complex accounting, treasury, and tax problems that may come about with changes to our flow of funds.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- 8-10 years of relevant tax experience with strong knowledge of US international tax laws.
- Both public accounting (Big 4 preferred) / legal firm and industry experience.
- A proven ability to research and communicate technical tax issues clearly to non-tax team members and work effectively across all functional teams.
- The ability to develop and mentor other members of the organization.
- A strong technical tax background that enables you to develop and implement tax strategies and processes, ability to perform required research of U.S. and foreign tax rules and regulations and analyze possible implications to Stripe.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex tax requirements and limitations to anyone in Stripe in order to advance the capabilities of our products around tax reporting and compliance.
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt quickly to changes in tax laws and analyze the possible implications to Stripe and our tax products.
- The desire to solve the complexities of tax reporting and product challenges/limitations that Stripe’s users face, which often requires flexibility and thinking on your feet to find practical solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Nice to haves:
- An advanced degree or professional qualification (CPA or LLM) in tax or law.
- Experience working in a technology, payments, or financial services company.
To apply, please include:
- A resume and LinkedIn profile.
We look forward to hearing from you.