Site Reliability Engineer Seattle
Site Reliability Engineers work with our engineering teams to ensure we build services that work well at scale.
We’re looking for Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) who can help us design, build, and maintain high-performance, scalable, reliable services. As an SRE at Stripe, you will work on one of our infrastructure teams to build and run the core components that power the rest of Stripe. You will also partner with our other engineering teams to help make their services more performant, scalable, observable, and reliable. We believe every engineering team at Stripe should be responsible for the software they build, and SREs play a critical part in providing the tools, practices, and expertise to make that happen.
- Design, build, and maintain the core infrastructure used by all of Stripe’s engineering teams
- Develop and promote conventions on production readiness and operational excellence
- Partner with engineering teams to ensure their products meet production standards
- Participate in design reviews and production reviews for new features, products, or pieces of infrastructure
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Participate in on-call rotations, along with every member of the engineering team
- Improve common operational challenges with tooling
- Plan for the growth of Stripe’s infrastructure
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Think about systems — their edge cases, failure modes, and life cycles
- Understand the importance of observability, and have good intuitions about what to measure and how
- Can identify toilsome manual tasks and build tooling to address them
- Know your way around a Unix shell
- Think clearly under pressure and work quickly and correctly in a crisis
- Can debug complex problems across the whole stack
- Focus on the needs of our customers, both internal and external
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production
You might work on:
- Partnering with our Product engineering teams to help facilitate load/fault tolerance tests and determine potential bottlenecks and points of failure
- Write easy-to-use and reliable client libraries for our Kafka or database systems. You’ll write abstractions and provide reasonable defaults around timeouts and error handling for a complex system.
- Embed within our financial infrastructure team to help design and scale our mission critical financial systems that interact with the credit card networks.
- Build the tools/systems that our developer will you use to build new products and infrastructure! If you love helping developers be more effective at their jobs, we have a ton of interesting projects in this area. Related projects: you could help us have better reproducible builds with Bazel and build great developer environments.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-AH1
We look forward to hearing from you.