Sanctions Program Lead San Francisco
Stripe’s Financial Crimes team is responsible for developing and overseeing the company’s global programs relating to anti-money laundering (AML), sanctions and anti-bribery and corruption (ABC) compliance. The team is composed of core AML, sanctions and ABC functions, as well as dedicated product, regional, analytics and internal assurance teams.
The Global Sanctions Compliance function within the Financial Crimes team ensures the company’s compliance with the sanctions programs administered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the the United Nations (UN), the European Union (EU) and other other relevant sanctions authorities globally.
We are looking for a Sanctions Program Lead to join our team in San Francisco. In this role, you’ll report to the Global Sanctions Officer and will serve as a subject matter expert on sanctions.
You’ll be responsible for driving and overseeing the necessary program, policy and process enhancements required to support our global sanctions obligations and requirements. Additionally, a key responsibility will be to work closely with other Financial Crimes sub-teams and Legal to identify, scope and deploy enhancements to Stripe’s list-based and keyword screening systems and infrastructure.
- Oversee operational workflows, including sanctions escalations and investigations
- Oversee adherence to sanctions procedure and process, to ensure global compliance with policy requirements (e.g., watchlist alert handling, escalations, list management and investigations)
- Work with Legal to analyze and interpret relevant rules and laws impacting Stripe’s sanctions compliance obligations
- Work with the Global Sanctions Officer to raise awareness to of sanctions risks, emerging issues, enhancements or remedial actions
- Work closely with the Financial Crimes subteams responsible for Stripe’s sanctions screening systems and data analysis, which includes tooling, list management, systems effectiveness, ongoing calibration (rules and tuning), regional configurations and vendor relationship management
- Periodically evaluate sanctions screening thresholds and logic to align with company risk tolerance and challenge proposals to ensure that all relevant decision making is documented appropriately
- Work with the Financial Crimes analytics team to develop regular metrics reports for ongoing decision making and escalation
- Coordinate with the Financial Crimes analytics and internal assurance teams to manage, as appropriate, internal sanctions assurance processes (e.g., sanctions risk assessment, QA/QC, independent assessment and other testing)
- Coordinate with team members responsible for regulatory and partner examinations, audits and reviews on any sanctions-related issues or document production
- Develop and maintain sanctions documentation covering sanctions screening approvals, configuration, implementation and performance
- Ensure relevant requirements are socialized effectively to key stakeholders
- 5 years of work experience working in sanctions compliance with a focus on sanctions screening systems, risks and typologies
- Strong writing and editing skills, with the ability to assess/opine on key process components
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to appropriately tailor messaging based on the audience
- Strong operations and workflow processes background
- Experience managing global projects that are cross-functional and/or technically complex
- Experience identifying and defining problems, prioritizing issues, building globally-minded project plans to address them, and driving high-quality implementation of their solutions
- The ability to work efficiently and independently in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment, with the discernibility to escalate urgent issues when necessary
- An eagerness to innovate and challenge traditional sanctions compliance concepts while respecting and adhering to the strict requirements imposed by the relevant sanctions authorities
Nice to Have:
- CAMS, CRCM, or equivalent certification
- Experience working with engineering and/or technical teams
- SQL or Excel skills
You should include these in your application:
- Resume and LinkedIn profile
We look forward to hearing from you.