Payroll Specialist San Francisco
Help scale our finance infrastructure globally!
Stripe is building a world class finance team. Our finance team is responsible for shaping our understanding of how Stripe is performing as a business, as well as what our best opportunities are for continued growth.
We’re looking for a Payroll Specialist who is exceptionally detail-oriented, has outstanding customer-service and communication skills, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. If this sounds like you - we’d love to hear from you!
- Process bi-weekly, multi-state payroll in Workday for 1,000+ employees, under supervision of the Payroll team.
- Respond to employees’ and managers’ payroll-related questions in a manner that mirrors the company’s drive to provide excellent customer service.
- Administer time-tracking system for non-exempt employees.
- Process notices from tax agencies, resolving issues promptly and escalating as appropriate.
- Prepare final checks for terminating employees, including calculating vacation payout and proration of earnings.
- Ensure accurate taxation and reporting of all earnings and deductions, including various pre- and post-tax benefits.
- Partner with our Benefits team to validate benefit integration data accuracy.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of the company’s tax filings, including annual W2 preparation.
- Support the Payroll team by assisting with payroll accounting journal entries and reconciliations.
- Support internal and external audits (including, e.g., financial statements, 401k, and workers’ compensation).
Our ideal candidate will have:
- 3+ years experience processing multi-state payroll for 1,000 - 2,000 US employees.
- At least 1 year of Workday Payroll experience (familiarity with other Workday modules is a plus).
- Reliability, punctuality, and an overall strong work ethic.
- A clear and friendly communication style, both written and verbal.
- Pride in providing outstanding customer service.
- A mind for detail—you can tell when something’s off, and you won’t rest until it’s fixed.
- Outstanding accuracy, especially under deadline pressure.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with complete confidentiality.
- Knowledge of how to tax benefits correctly (FSAs, HSAs, imputed income, etc.).
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as ability to work as part of a team.
- Advanced Excel skills (PIVOTs, VLOOKUPs).
- Experience supporting various types of internal and external audit.
- Ability to adapt within a fast-paced, changing start-up environment.
- Strong knowledge of US federal and state wage and labor laws.
To apply, please include:
- A resume and LinkedIn profile.
We look forward to hearing from you.