Manager, Technical Program Management, Payments Infrastructure San Francisco
Support and grow a team of TPMs focused on building the infrastructure and tools that powers Stripe.
As a manager of the Payments Infrastructure Technical Program Management team, you will play a key role within infrastructure engineering, driving projects that span across the organization. You will lead a growing team of TPMs and will also be responsible for major product and infrastructure initiatives with the highest degree of complexity. Your impact is felt across the company. You spend a significant proportion of your time developing the capabilities of the team as a whole.
Who you are:
- Drive functional and technical delivery of key team-, org-, and company-wide initiatives .
- Collaborate with engineering teams to design, scope, and shepherd features .
- Create functional specs, project / release plans, and roadmaps .
- Own and execute multiple infrastructure software engineering programs simultaneously .
- Help drive product decisions to align with higher company initiatives.
- Help influence peers / managers and build consensus while dealing with ambiguity .
- Guide and manage the usage of agile methodologies to simplify project delivery .
- Develop the Technical Program Manager team, including hiring and developing TPMs, to support the growth of the larger infrastructure team.
What you bring:
- 3+ years as a TPM, engineering leader or related discipline .
- 2+ years of experience directly managing people including recruiting, hiring and mentoring.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science, engineering or a related field.
- Consistent track record of shipping products with broad customer impact .
- Demonstrable experience with agile software development methodologies and productivity tools .
- Strong customer service focus, with the ability to communicate and build relationships with highly - technical management teams.
- Strong analytic and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and resolve systemic issues .
- Interpersonal skills to build relationships, and collaborate with diverse cross-functional teams.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in at least one area, and have some interest and capabilities in the others.
Nice to have requirements:
- Web or Internet start-up environment and technical infrastructure management experience.
- Exposure to large-scale systems, data center, operations, or computing infrastructure-related experience, including experience in multi-tiered distributed application environments.
- Demonstrated strong performance in prior roles, with increasing levels of responsibility and independence.
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-RJ1
We look forward to hearing from you.