Full Stack Engineer, Org Effectiveness San Francisco
Org Effectiveness builds products that enhance knowledge discovery, communication, and culture for all Stripe employees, in turn helping individuals stay connected and have a greater impact.
We aim to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. As part of this, we deeply trust one another, enable individuals to learn and grow beyond their role, and work hard to ensure people within Stripe feel connected to each other and our collective goals.
The Org Effectiveness team exists to facilitate this. We build products like Home. Used by 99% of Stripes in any given month, Home is the source of truth for who we are, what we’re doing, and why—and a platform for enabling individuals and helping them get to know one another.
Our internal products like Home don’t face the same scale that our user-facing applications do: it’s less about the number of concurrent requests and more about the ever-changing complexity and scale of our organization. Home is inherently tied to the people at Stripe: for any particular feature we roll out, we have to consider how it affects Stripes new and tenured, based in headquarters and abroad, and people across every role; we need to balance transparency with information overload, serendipity with curated content, and crisp interfaces and team boundaries with the actual human element that makes Stripe what it is.
We’re looking for people with a background in building successful products, experimenting with new ways to structure and share information, distilling complex needs to simple interfaces, and who are comfortable learning new technologies and systems. Most importantly, we’re looking for people who are enthusiastic working with a variety of backgrounds, roles, and needs. If this sounds like you, we’d love to chat.
- Build the software and infrastructure that helps Stripe employees meet and learn from one another and find and publish information across the company.
- Work side-by-side with a variety of teams within Stripe, especially our Education and People teams, in order to help individuals have an outsized impact at Stripe.
- Own problems end-to-end, thinking through everything from the metrics to prioritize how we approach problems to the pixel-level details of our solutions.
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the codebases, infrastructure, and processes you will encounter.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization such as experts in product, design, infrastructure, and operations.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy being a generalist working on both the frontend, backend, and anything it takes to solve problems and delight users both internally and externally.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts. Can stitch together many different services and processes together even if you have not worked with them before.
- Can put yourself in the shoes of your users and be a steward of crafting great experiences.
- Care deeply about performance, accessibility, and API design. (Home exposes an entire set of people, team, and search APIs used by other teams at Stripe.)
- Have a high bar for quality of code and quality of user experience.
- Uphold best practices in engineering, security, and design.
You might work on:
- Experimenting with new educational products, ranging from a curated documentation interface (the flip side to our search feature) to better ways to discover and participate in the classes and events we host for Stripe employees and users. (We’re particularly excited about the potential impact of this area!)
- Exploring ways to express how people and teams work together, helping Stripes understand what’s happening across the entire company and find the right people for any particular area they’re working in. (We’re currently experimenting with some new team pages to further this idea, which improve how teams share their long-term missions, who their customers are, and upcoming work from the team—blending the team’s goals with the people driving that work forward.)
- Building better self-help interfaces, which could take the institutional knowledge for how people help themselves and make it the default for Stripe employees new and tenured. Features in this area would weave together our search infrastructure, new documentation hub, and metrics pipeline to help Stripes find information better and give teams insights to know how best to improve the content they publish.
- Expanding the APIs and programmatic interfaces that underlie all of these features, which make it easier for Stripes to build our people information directly into their tools and to experiment with their own ideas for how to improve Stripe.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source. We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
You should include these in your application:
- A short introduction describing who you are and what you’re looking for. What projects have you enjoyed working on? Which have you disliked? What motivates you?
- Links to online profiles you use (e.g. GitHub).
- A description of your work history (whether as a resume, LinkedIn profile, or prose).
We look forward to hearing from you.