Full Stack Engineer, Growth San Francisco
The growth team helps our smallest users become successful on Stripe
Stripe aims to increase the GDP of the internet. Meeting this challenge will require us to build products that help an increasingly diverse set of people run their businesses. Amid this growth it’s critical that we remain committed to our smallest users. That’s where the Growth team comes in.
Growth works side-by-side our marketing, design, and product engineering teams to increase the number of successful self-serve businesses on Stripe. Our work sometimes aims to increase the total number of self-serve users on Stripe. At other times we focus on making the first-time Stripe experience easier and less-scary for our smallest users. In the end we hope to make first-time Stripe users feel like we have their backs.
As an early engineer on this team you’ll have the opportunity to shape a roadmap that spans multiple functions—engineering, marketing, and design, to name a few. We’re looking for folks who get excited by both thinking deeply about the experience of users and solving hard technical problems.
- Work in different codebases across Stripe to improve the first-time experience of our smallest users
- Design and implement systems which don’t yet exist that will help us better communicate at scale with self-serve businesses
- Conceive of and implement experiments to improve our first-time user experience across all of Stripe’s properties
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have 3+ years working as a full-stack software engineer
- Have scoped, implemented, and maintained at least one multi-month engineering project alongside a team of engineers—particularly if that project was cross-functional in nature or spanned multiple engineering teams
- Care deeply about product details and have used data to inform an engineering or product decision
- Are passionate about working for our newest users
You might work on:
- A mechanism to provide users with relevant support articles or how-to guides depending on where they are in their journey on Stripe
- An in-product getting-started guide that’s tailored for an individual’s particular business
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-CG1
We look forward to hearing from you.