Full Stack Engineer, Frontline Experience San Francisco
Frontline Experience improves our users’ end-to-end experiences with Stripe, and helps improve Stripe based on those interactions.
Stripe builds economic infrastructure for the internet, supporting businesses worldwide ranging from fledgling upstarts to Fortune 500s. These businesses place significant trust in Stripe to accelerate their success. This makes the user-facing teams at Stripe mission critical: these teams provide fast, accurate answers in the context of our users’ businesses across phone, email, and chat.
The Frontline Experience engineering team works side-by-side with our user-facing teams to make this possible. We build products to improve our users’ end-to-end experiences with Stripe, from how users contact us to the tools we use to answer them. We use data collected through these support products and tools to continuously improve our products.
We believe in individual enablement and build tools for power users: our fellow Stripes! Our workflow platform allows other Stripes to roll out instrumented content to the entire support team, making sure best practices are adopted efficiently even as we scale. We’re working on a new product to help users speak to their Stripe team right from their Dashboard; we’ll know we’re doing well when we hear more from these users.
We’re looking for people with a strong background in building successful products or workflow tools; you’re comfortable working directly with your users, distilling complex systems to simple interfaces, and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
- Build the software and infrastructure that enables Stripe to help and learn from our users worldwide. Your users will be both internal and external.
- Work side-by-side with our user-facing teams to understand (and help others understand) our users’ needs.
- Own problems end-to-end, thinking through everything from the metrics to prioritize how we approach problems to the pixel-level details of our solutions.
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the codebases, infrastructure, and processes you will encounter.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization such as experts in product, design, infrastructure, and operations.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy being a generalist; working on the frontend, backend, anything it takes to solve problems and delight users both internally and externally.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Can stitch together many different services and processes together even if you have not worked with them before.
- Can put yourself in the shoes of your users and be a steward of crafting great experiences.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise.
- Uphold best practices in engineering, security, and design.
You might work on:
- Extending our standardized workflow frameworks, which enable developers to build tooling for an increasing number of user-facing teams. Example projects include reimagining the programmatic interfaces to make it easier for any engineer to expose their products in the workflow tools and working on the end-to-end metrics pipeline to give a central view into the most impactful tooling opportunities.
- Scaling the contact platform that enables all Stripe users to talk to us across phone, chat, and email. Projects in this area range from the interfaces through which users contact us to the underlying systems and interfaces that enable us to monitor our infrastructure.
- Launching new user-facing products optimized for specific types of Stripe users. The goal of these products is to help these users talk to Stripe more as their business grows.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-CW1
We look forward to hearing from you.