Engineering Manager, Search Infrastructure Seattle
Build the next generation search platform at Stripe
The Search Infrastructure team builds and operates the platform that enables other engineers to create innovative and useful search products. This team partners with Stripe’s product engineering teams to support search experiences within the Stripe Dashboard as well as enabling Stripe to run more efficiently (from risk, to Stripe’s internal homepage, to sales and support). The team supports everything from the end-to-end pipeline for indexing Stripe’s data to a simple query interface for Stripe engineers to build upon.
The Search Infrastructure team is a new team at Stripe and we’re looking for a manager who is excited to build and lead this team from the ground up. We’re also looking for a manager who is passionate about building a powerful and easy-to-use platform that enables other engineers to build wonderful search experience on top of Stripe’s data.
- Work with engineers and other leaders at Stripe to understand opportunities to better leverage searchable data within Stripe and build a roadmap to support these needs.
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and ease-of-use
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and work effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
You may be a good fit if:
- You’ve managed teams that shipped and operated critical infrastructure, particularly in the data storage domain
- You have a strong quantitative and analytical background
- You’re worked with geographically distributed teams
- You’ve successfully recruited and built great teams
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- You’re clear and persuasive in writing and in person
- You are excited about collaborating with teammates across engineering to provide a wonderful user experience
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-AH1
We look forward to hearing from you.