Engineering Manager, Point of Sale San Francisco
As a platform company powering businesses all over the world, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, detects fraud, helps entrepreneurs start a business from anywhere in the world, builds world-class developer-friendly APIs, and more.
Stripe is enhancing the in-person payments experience for our users and we are looking for managers for our growing team. There is impactful work to be done in all parts of the stack - servers, mobile, web and embedded systems.
- Lead one or more of the teams developing Stripe’s in-person payments products.
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical excellence and stability.
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and interface effectively with the rest of Stripe.
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team.
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team.
You may be a good fit if:
- You’re excited about helping Stripe enter new product and technology areas.
- You have at least a couple years of experience managing productive engineering teams.
- You lead by example, set the right context, and help teammates do their best work.
- You are deeply technical but prefer to lean on your leadership skills.
- You enjoy learning and diving into the nuts-and-bolts of how things work — in this role you’ll learn about global money movement, payment methods, SDK development and more.
- You’re excited to help engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers.
- You understand what makes teams successful and what role a manager can play in that process.
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility.
- You’ve successfully recruited great people to your teams.
Nice to have:
- Payments, points-of-sale, EMV
- SDK development
- Mobile development
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
We look forward to hearing from you.