Engineering Manager, Onboarding Experience San Francisco
Onboarding Experience builds core parts of every Stripe user’s first experience on the platform.
Onboarding Experience is a new team building customer-facing products that increase our conversion, and improve the experience of being a new user on Stripe. The team makes strategic decisions driven by funnel metrics, onboarding best practices, customer feedback, and their own creative ideas.
We’re looking for an experienced manager to lead and shape this team, and help enable every new Stripe user start accepting online payments.
- Work with engineering, growth marketing, and product leaders at Stripe to guide our approach to user onboarding from a technical, product, and operational perspective-
- Build fluid onboarding experiences for new merchants including registration, the account application, dashboard first experience, and product discovery tools.
- Own key metrics around funnel conversion, and the product changes needed to improve them.
- Manage team processes including escalations & oncall for the engineering team.
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical productivity and quality
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and interface effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
You may be fit for this role if you:
- You are opinionated about onboarding workflows, and enjoy being metrics-driven in product development.
- You are experienced with building frontend user interfaces and have an eye for good design
- You’ve collaborated closely with product, marketing, and design teams to launch new products and iterate on existing ones.
- You’ve managed teams that shipped and operated critical infrastructure
- You’ve successfully recruited great teammates
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- You are excited about collaborating with teammates across Stripe’s organization, including product, growth marketing, and design
- You have at least a couple years of engineering management experience
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-RJ1
We look forward to hearing from you.