Engineering Manager, Merchant Controls San Francisco
Build the platform that empowers Stripe to launch new international markets and new products with ease
Merchant Controls works on the backend infrastructure that ties together Merchant Intelligence’s machine learning systems, automated heuristics, and data sets in order to integrate decision-making into the product. On the inbound side, Merchant Controls builds integrations with external data sources to enhance the understanding of our merchants. Merchant Controls further develops adaptable rule systems that use this information and the outputs of Stripe-internal assessment, scoring and data sources in order to automate merchant interventions and capabilities. Finally, Merchant Controls partners with product teams to enforce these capability decisions in our products.
We’re looking for a manager to lead this team as it scales rapidly in the coming months to support Stripe’s global expansion and the increased complexity of the ecosystem that we review.
- Work with engineers, risk specialists, data scientists, and other leaders to guide the development of highly scalable and robust risk systems
- Set the vision for an industry-leading risk mitigation infrastructure that utilizes modern technologies, creative approaches to risk mitigation, and extremely high degrees of automation
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and ease-of-use
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and work effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
- Be attuned to the broader technological ecosystem beyond Stripe to understand how we can use or contribute to it
You may be a good fit if:
- You lead by example, by setting the right context, and by helping teammates do their best work
- You enjoy developing operational systems and backend infrastructure that operate at scale
- You have domain expertise in the fraud and/or financial risk space
- You’re experienced in applying machine learning to real-world problems
- You are experienced with integrating external APIs and designing internal APIs
- You’ve successfully recruited great teammates
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-DNP
We look forward to hearing from you.