Engineering Manager, Financial Infrastructure Seattle
Help Stripe scale our core payments infrastructure and operations.
Payments are the core of Stripe’s business, and the groups and teams within Financial Infrastructure are broadly responsible for processing and moving these funds at a huge scale.
From the outside, a customer’s credit card is charged and the merchant receives a payout to their bank account. On the inside, we have a network of teams that build infrastructure for charging the credit cards (or other payment methods, like bank transfers or Alipay), integrations with our banking partners to send transfers to our users across the globe, systems that collect Stripe’s revenue, and more. Collectively, this group powers all payments products at Stripe, and we’re looking for managers to lead various initiatives and teams.
- Work with all Stripe leaders across the company to create and drive toward the vision of Stripe’s payment platform.
- Drive the roadmap and priorities for your team, and work with dependencies across the company.
- Be deeply involved in understanding and operationalizing funds flows for new product and market launches.
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical excellence and stability.
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and interface effectively with the rest of Stripe.
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team.
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- You’ve managed teams that shipped and operated critical infrastructure. You’ll have significant responsibility over the funds flowing through Stripe, and the ability to make or break Stripe’s future.
- You enjoy learning and diving into the nuts-and-bolts of how things work — in this role, you’ll learn a ton about global money movement rails, currency conversion, intercompany flows, finance and accounting, and many more topics.
- You work very well cross-functionally, and are able to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs.
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility.
- You encourage a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging.
- You’re technical enough to ask engineers good questions about architecture and product decisions.
- You have at least a couple years of engineering management experience.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-AH1
We look forward to hearing from you.