Engineering Manager, Edge Seattle
Ensuring Stripe’s continued existence on the Internet
The Edge team is responsible for everything from Load Balancing and DDoS protection, to building our infrastructure to enable global ingress and egress of traffic to and from our systems.
This is a new team which is just getting started. We’re looking for a manager to build and lead the team which will directly impact Stripe’s future by ensuring we have highly available systems for routing traffic to and from our software and hardware. We will enable other teams at Stripe to innovate by creating compute capabilities at the edge and enabling intelligent routing of API requests.
We’re looking for an engineering manager to lead this team and help Stripe build a platform that provides a distinct competitive advantage in engineer velocity and recruiting.
- Build the Edge team – this is a new team with lots of growing ahead of it
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Work with the engineers to craft the team charter and roadmap
- Empower the engineering team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability and simplicity
- Develop engineers and engineering managers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
You may be a good fit if you’ve done some of these:
- You’ve successfully built a team, defined the mission, and achieved your goals
- You’ve successfully recruited and retained great people to your teams
- You know how to balance the reliability, usability, compliance and cost of critical systems
- You are deeply technical, but prefer to lean on your leadership skills
- You are comfortable planning in quarters, and also have experience planning in years
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- You are excited about collaborating with teammates across Stripe’s organization
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in some of these areas, and have some interest and capabilities in the others.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-AH1
We look forward to hearing from you.