Engineering Manager, Developer Productivity San Francisco
Lead the teams empowering Stripe engineers to do their best work
You’ll lead the teams who are providing best-in-class tooling and documentation, with the aim of making engineers’ time at Stripe the most productive of their career. This is a uniquely strategic role, empowered and responsible for the development velocity and development experience of every Stripe engineer.
We’re looking for an experienced manager of managers to partner with thirty engineers and managers leading our developer productivity efforts.
- Work with Stripe leaders to design and lead the plan for Stripe’s developer productivity
- Manage multiple teams, lead by several engineering managers and engineers
- Partner with the team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, simplicity and usability
- Recruit great engineers and engineering managers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers and engineering managers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
You may be a good fit if:
- You’ve managed teams that built tools to make large code bases maintainable
- You’re excited to listen to a wide range of users and synthesize their needs into a thoughtful approach
- You’re technically proficient, but prefer to lean on your leadership skills
- You’ve worked with geographically distributed teams
- You’re clear and persuasive in writing and in person
- You are excited about collaborating with teammates across Stripe’s organization, and by the prospect of shipping new infrastructure and tooling that impacts how the majority of Stripe engineers write code
- You lead by example, by setting the right context, and by helping teammates do their best work
- You have at least a couple of years of engineering management experience
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-VP1
We look forward to hearing from you.