Engineering Manager San Francisco
Build and lead engineering teams at Stripe.
At Stripe, engineering managers grow teams and inspire them to contribute quality work. We’re looking for experienced engineering managers to join us and lead Stripe engineers in building the payments infrastructure of the internet.
You may be a good fit if:
- You have a track record of leading productive engineering teams
- You attract great teammates
- You encourage a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging
- You’re excited to help engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers
- You understand what makes teams successful and what role a manager can play in that process
- You’re clear and persuasive in writing and in person
- You lead by example, by setting the right context, and by helping teammates do their best work
- You know when to let a team work through problems and when to jump in to help
- You’re technical enough to ask engineers good questions about architecture and product decisions
- You have at least a couple of years of engineering management experience
Please include in your application:
A few words on…
- Why you’re passionate about being an engineering manager at Stripe in particular
- How you approach engineering management
- The team you’re most proud of supporting, and your role in helping it succeed
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
We look forward to hearing from you.