Engineering Leader, Payments Products San Francisco
Build core payments products.
Payments are the core of Stripe’s business. We’re looking for a leader to determine how we package our payments capabilities so that they become powerful solutions for all of our users. Successful execution will require us to continue to innovate and position the capabilities of products like Radar and Connect so that they continue to provide the best solutions available in the market to users in our target Go-To-Market segments. This position will also require relentless external user focus, a metrics driven approach to analyzing our product and GTM performance and a deep partnership with design and product marketing to ensure our solutions are well understood by current and prospective users.
You will lead a talented team of engineers to accelerate our product development velocity; continuously improve visibility, monitoring, and reliability; consult with product teams on effective use of platform tools and technologies; and influence team-wide architecture, culture, and process. Ultimately, you are leading a team who is building products and services where your customers are your fellow engineers.
- Have a relentless external user focus and a metrics driven approach to analyzing our product and go-to-market performance
- Have a deep partnership with design and product marketing to ensure our solutions are well understood by current and prospective users
- Work with all Stripe leaders across the company to create and drive toward the vision of Stripe’s payment products
- Manage multiple teams, led by several engineering managers and engineers
- Develop norms and processes to ensure a unified, high quality user experience for merchants across devices and products
- Recruit great engineers and engineering managers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team to grow the team
- Develop engineers and engineering managers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
- Build products for businesses that grow and scale with them as they evolve from 2 people in a garage to growth stage and beyond into the Fortune 50
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- You are excited about collaborating with teammates across Stripe’s organization, and by the prospect of shipping new products and tooling that impacts how the majority of Stripe product engineers write code
- You’re passionate about building relationships with a wide range of users and able to synthesize their needs into a thoughtful product approach
- You’re technically proficient, but prefer to lean on your leadership skills to nurture teams and build great products
- You’ve worked with geographically distributed teams
- You’re clear and influential in writing and in person
- You are excited about collaborating with teammates across Stripe’s organization, and by the prospect of shipping new infrastructure and tooling that impacts how the majority of Stripe product engineers write code
- You have several years of engineering management experience
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-DNP
We look forward to hearing from you.