Engineering Lead, Issuing
Build and scale the Issuing product and engineering organization
Location: San Francisco
Stripe Issuing is an end-to-end platform for quickly creating, distributing, and managing physical and virtual cards. It’s infrastructure that enables businesses to do things like create employee expense cards with dynamic spending limits, generate virtual cards so marketplace couriers can pay with their phones at specific merchants, or run the entire card stack for a new digital bank. The opportunity in front of the Issuing team is immense—as large as that of Stripe’s Payments product, with myriad expansion opportunities into new markets, user types and supporting product lines.
As the Engineering Lead on Issuing, you will lead a product that helps foster the creation of new businesses, and allows businesses in the space to move significantly faster, without the challenges of the legacy technology that exist today. You’ll be instrumental in driving Issuing’s product vision and will be responsible for hiring, developing and leading a team of engineers to seamlessly execute our technical roadmap. We’re looking for a leader for this nascent but fast moving group. We expect the group to grow significantly over a short period of time to respond to the incredible demand from our invite-only launch. We expect the team to grow in the U.S. and Europe. It’s a unique opportunity to build Stripe’s first new infrastructure product since our inception.
- Work with our users, financial and strategic partners, and other stakeholders at Stripe to develop an Issuing product that - is easy to use but flexible enough to support a wide variety of geographies and business use cases.
- Develop engineers on the team and help them advance in their careers.
- Recruit engineers that are amongst the best in the industry, from outreach through close.
- Manage the processes necessary to operate the team effectively.
- Contribute to company-wide engineering initiatives as part of Stripe’s engineering management team.
- Support the engineering and product teams in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and ease-of-use
You may be a good fit if:
- You have a consistent track record of leading product engineering teams.
- You are organized and naturally prioritize tasks for the good of the product and team.
- You have an eye for great products and can work effectively with engineers, product managers, and designers to build them.
- You have empathy for the problems that businesses small and large face in their day-to-day operations, and a desire to solve those problems.
- You put a strong emphasis on recruiting and developing your team.
- You can work on a highly visible product and have a high bar for design, usability, and accessibility.
Nice to have:
- Experience in payments or financial technology
- Experience building software infrastructure
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-RJ1
We look forward to hearing from you.