Engineering Intern San Francisco
At Stripe, we are working hard at growing the GDP of the internet by building products and processes to help run an online business. You will work on projects that span technologies, systems, and processes where you will design, test, and ship great code every day. The work you do will affect Stripe and its users.
Our interns are full-time engineers; they have full deploy access and push code into production from day one. We keep our intern class small (generally only one per team) to ensure every single one has a dedicated mentor and gets to work on tough technical challenges, such as rebuilding our statistics aggregation service, migrating jobs to a cluster-based scheduler, or making easy-to-understand error messages for Stripe Checkout!
Throughout the summer, you’ll attend company all-hands meetings, learn from special speakers and participate in special intern events (such as s’mores making, bubble soccer, bowling, and trivia nights).
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have strong CS fundamentals through a current pursuit of Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in computer science, math or related discipline
- Plan to graduate in 2020 or 2021
- Some programming experience (either in class, in your personal time, or at a job). We work mostly in Ruby, with some Scala and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in at least one area, and have some interest and capabilities in the others. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
You should include these in your application:
- Links to online profiles you’d like to share (GitHub, Twitter, StackOverflow, etc) so we can get to know you better!
- A description of your work history (either as a resume or LinkedIn profile)
We look forward to hearing from you.