Economist San Francisco
Generate insights and impact from data.
Stripe is the best software platform for running an internet business. We handle billions of dollars every year for hundreds of thousands of businesses in 100+ countries around the world. With all this data, we’re looking for a talented economist to conduct research on entrepreneurship and firm dynamics.
- Work on the Stanford + Stripe Survey of Internet Entrepreneurship, a new recurring survey of entrepreneurs accepting online payments. The survey will shed light on how the internet is changing entrepreneurship, how people transition into starting online businesses, what barriers prevent some groups from fully participating in these new economic opportunities, and other key questions.
- Conduct empirical research on large datasets, testing economic theories and models related to entrepreneurship, firm growth, marketplaces, etc.
- Work closely with Communications, Public Policy, and our executive team to create rigorous research reports and data visualizations.
You’d ideally have:
- PhD in Economics.
- Advanced skills in R/Python/Stata and knowledge of SQL.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Knowledge of latest economics academic literature related to entrepreneurship and firms
- Familiarity with publicly available data and microdata.
- Experience working at a technology company a bonus.
- Experience with D3 or other data visualization tools a bonus.
You should include these in your application:
- Resume and LinkedIn profile.
- Your best academic paper.
- 2-3 paragraphs on what entrepreneurship research would you conduct if you had access to Stripe data.
We look forward to hearing from you.