Design Ops Manager San Francisco
Build and manage the team that keeps the trains running, to the right destinations, on time.
Design at Stripe
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We think that building an internet business is a problem rooted in code and design, not finance. We also believe that there are far too many barriers to doing business on the internet and that the opportunities to do it are not equally distributed throughout the world. To break down those barriers and make the opportunities available to anyone, we’re designing the future of tools and infrastructure for starting, running, and scaling an online business—from anywhere in the world. That’s where you come in: our team is comprised of a diverse set of designers of many disciplines, skills, backgrounds, and specialties, and we’re looking to grow our small team in San Francisco.
The Design team works across most projects at Stripe—from our brand voice and websites to events, web and mobile products, and even printed publications. And since Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products, we agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
About the Design Ops team and the role
We’re about 30 people on the Design team divided into smaller teams: Product Design, Communication Design, Brand Design, UX Research, Writing, and of course Design Ops. We are anticipating significant growth and Design Ops will play a key role in maintaining our speed and excellence as we scale.
We consider Design Ops to be “the COO” of the Design team, collaborating across the entire Design org, and cross-functionally with the teams we often interact with: Marketing, Engineering, Product Management, as well as the exec team. At Stripe, Design Ops manages three key areas:
Program Management — Design Ops works closely with our head of design and team managers to drive our operational strategy and raise the bar of our practice. This includes building and overseeing our roadmap, and supporting organizational development efforts such as hiring, onboarding, and career development.
Creative Operations — Design Ops partners with design managers and works closely with designers to create and refine briefs, facilitate reviews, and explore better ways to prototype creative solutions, ensuring we are building the best solutions for the right problems at the right time
Production Operations — Design Ops is responsible for creating efficiencies in the design and production process, enabling designers to stay focused on delivering high quality work on time. At Stripe, this also includes staff and resource planning, vendor management, and everything else that goes into delivering the work that designers do.
Who we’re looking for:
We’re looking for an experienced leader who will have the chance to build out an already well-functioning and highly talented group of design producers, and create new infrastructure to help our design team scale and maintain a high quality of output. We go to extraordinary lengths to produce world-class work, and you will get a chance to both deploy your hard-earned experience and stretch your skills in an organization where your area of work is highly valued.
- Be the first manager for this newly-formed team
- Manage the team of experienced design producers: setting overall operational priorities, managing skill and career growth, as well as defining what success looks like for the team
- Responsibly recruit and grow the team to match the broader design team’s growth and employee development needs
- Facilitate the way we build, manage, and execute our roadmap
- Work closely with Marketing, Comms, Product Management, Product Engineering, and senior leadership, to fully understand the needs, constraints and goals of each organization, and to represent Design’s process and point-of-view as it relates to collaborating and delivering high-quality, timely work
- Deeply understand our product and business goals, so that you can help designers balance speed, quality and impact
- Establish operational principles which result in processes and tools that enable design to work efficiently, effectively and as strong collaborators across disciplines
- Manage our resourcing process, ensuring the process itself does not become a bottleneck to productivity
- With Design Leadership, regularly evaluates existing processes, making adjustments to maintain high-velocity for Design as the organization grows and changes
- Oversee Design’s people operation
- With counterparts in HR, Recruiting and Design Leadership, develop and manage an equitable and inclusive Design recruiting process: from sourcing a diverse pool of designers all the way through to verbal/written offers, you will ensure every candidate receives a world-class recruiting experience with Stripe
- Establish and run new designer onboarding to help designers feel confident and productive as quickly as possible
- Working with HR and Design Leadership, develop and manage career ladders, development and performance evaluation processes for Design
- Report to the Head of Design
You may be fit for this role if:
Note: It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in at least one area, and have some interest and capabilities in the others.
- You’ve managed a growing team in a rapidly growing organization
- You are strategic, critical thinker, and have strong creative direction skills
- You have experience methodically developing the skills and careers of your team members
- You excel at creating environments that motivate and inspire people to do their best work
- You are relentlessly user-focused
- You have 5+ years of people management experience
- You are extraordinarily skilled in both written and spoken communication
- Your best work is done in a highly collaborative way
- You can find a meaningful balance when optimizing for speed, quality, and doing risky, but interesting work
You should include these in your application:
- Your LinkedIn profile or resume
We look forward to hearing from you.