Communication & Brand Design Manager San Francisco
Design at Stripe
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We think that building an internet business is a problem rooted in code and design, not finance. We also believe that there are far too many barriers to doing business on the internet and that the opportunities to do it are not equally distributed throughout the world. To break down those barriers and make the opportunities available to anyone, we’re designing the future of tools and infrastructure for starting, running, and scaling an online business—from anywhere in the world. That’s where you come in: we’re looking for a diverse set of designers of many disciplines, skills, backgrounds, and specialties to join our small (but growing!) team in San Francisco.
The design team works across most projects at Stripe—from our brand voice and websites to events, web and mobile products, and even printed publications. And since Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products, we agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
About the Communication and Brand Design team and the role
We’re about 20 people total on the Design team, and we’re divided into sub-groups: Product Design, Research, Writing, Design Operations, and of course Communication and Brand Design.
The Communication and Brand Design team works on all marketing, sales, and communications projects—product launches, all work on Stripe.com, internal and external presentations, and collateral used in sales conversations. They are Responsible for visual identity systems and the creative deliverables that make the Stripe brand real, from internal and external events to swag and videos. However, boundaries between teams are permeable, so you can certainly expect to collaborate with other designers and managers on a broad set of design challenges that don’t fall neatly into the Communication and Brand Design category.
As the manager of the team that works on the the most visible part of Stripe’s communication, we’re looking for a very experienced leader who will have the chance to build out an already well-functioning and highly skilled group of designers. We go to extraordinary lengths to produce world-class work, and you will get to both deploy your hard-earned experience and build your skills in an organization where your area of work is highly valued.
- Be the first manager for this newly-formed team
- Manage the team that designs and builds most of Stripe.com and brings well-crafted narratives to life across several channels and touchpoints
- Grow the team to meet business demands and employee development needs
- Work with Design Operations to manage resourcing of projects
- Work with Design and Stripe leadership to determine design direction
- Inspire, motivate, and lead senior and junior designers to do the best work of their career
- Work closely with our Marketing, Comms, Product Management, Product Engineering, and senior leadership to deliver stunning and effective work
- Report to the Head of Design
You may be fit for this role if:
- You’ve managed a growing team in a rapidly growing environment
- You have experience methodically developing team member skills and careers
- You excel at motivating and inspiring people to do their best work
- You are relentlessly customer-focused
- You have experience doing work for a product that doesn’t have shiny product renderings to rely on
- You have 5+ years of people management experience
- You are extraordinarily skilled in both written and spoken communication
- Your best work is done in a highly collaborative way
- You can find a meaningful balance between optimizing for speed, quality, and doing risky, but interesting work
You should include these in your application:
- Your LinkedIn profile or resume
- A link to your portfolio (even if it consists of or includes work done by your team)
We look forward to hearing from you.