Android Engineer San Francisco
Helping businesses embrace the potential of mobile
Many of the most exciting ideas we’ve seen depend on mobile, and our work makes the difficult problems they come across invisible. Companies like Lyft, Wish and Instacart use Stripe to power an incredible diversity of experiences on Android. We help Android Apps move from lengthy forms to one touch payments and securely take payments from around the world. Beyond helping companies build products on mobile, we’re making apps to allow them to run their businesses on the go as well. We’re looking for engineers with a deep understanding of the Android platform to help define Stripe’s future role in mobile apps.
Android Projects at Stripe
- Building out a dashboard app in Kotlin to serve as our customer’s portal into their business. We work closely with design to iterate on products from a first principles perspective.
- Design mobile APIs at a level of abstraction that lets us quickly add new features to make mobile payments even more powerful and convenient for the global market
- Brainstorming unique mobile-first features to make it seamless to manage a business on Stripe
- Design, build, and maintain our Android app and libraries in Kotlin and Java
- Work with engineers across the company to bring new features and products into existence
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization including subject matter experts, design, infrastructure, and operations
- Improve engineering standards, tools, and processes
We’re looking for someone who:
- Cares deeply about developing, releasing, and maintaining high quality Android applications
- Has a deep understanding of the Android SDK and Android devices landscape
- Can empathize with the many different types of users who depend on Stripe’s mobile portfolio involving both user facing products and developer tools
- Communicates effectively on both technical and non-technical subjects
Nice to haves:
- 3+ years of experience working with Android
- Prior experience working in a full stack capacity
You should include these in your application:
- Links to apps you’ve released in the Play Store and description of the parts you’ve specifically built
- Links to online profiles you use (GitHub, Twitter, etc)
- A description of your work history (whether as a resume, LinkedIn profile, or prose)
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.#LI-DJ1
We look forward to hearing from you.