Android Engineer San Francisco
Help build the future of mobile payments
At Stripe, we’re passionate about helping people build new businesses and some of the most exciting ideas we’ve seen depend on mobile devices. A new class of apps is emerging built on our marketplace features that simply couldn’t exist a few years ago—companies like Lyft, Wish and Instacart use Stripe to power an incredible diversity of experiences on Android. As an Android Pay launch partner, we’ve helped more than 75% of Android Pay apps in the Play Store move from lengthy forms to one touch payments. We’re looking for engineers with a deep understanding of the Android platform to to help define Stripe’s future role in mobile apps.
Android at Stripe
We offer an Android SDK that makes difficult problems invisible, such as synchronizing a customer’s payment information across multiple platforms. We want to build first party apps that make it possible to manage a business from an Android device. Here’s a non-exhaustive list of the challenges we deal with:
- We like to find creative ways to make the experience of integrating Stripe delightful for developers. As part of that, we spend a lot of time thinking about how to maintain backward compatibility in our API while we rapidly grow it. We want to apply the same philosophy to our mobile SDKs and build APIs at a level of abstraction that lets us quickly add new features without burdening our existing customers.
- We make it seamless to integrate the Stripe API - supporting Google Pay, Alipay, and payments methods from around the world. Much like how Stripe itself started with a simple credit card processing API and then built features like Subscriptions and Connect on top, we’re now looking to build the next wave of tools and features to make mobile payments even more powerful and convenient.
- We are building a native merchant dashboard app in Kotlin to serve as a merchant’s portal into their business and a responsive, expressive gateway into all the data and payments that Stripe helps them process.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
- 3+ years of experience working with Android.
- Deep understanding of the Android SDK and Android devices landscape.
- Demonstrated skills in developing, releasing, and maintaining high quality Android applications.
You should include these in your application:
- Links to apps you’ve released in the Play Store and description of the parts you’ve specifically built.
- Links to online profiles you use (GitHub, Twitter, etc).
- A description of your work history (whether as a resume, LinkedIn profile, or prose).
We look forward to hearing from you.