Designer, Web Presence
Help us shape Stripe.com
Design at Stripe
There are far too many barriers to doing business online. Stripe was founded to overcome them, and we think that such an achievement will be rooted not just in finance, but in creativity of code and design.
Our substantive goal is to craft economic change. We’re designing infrastructure, products, surfaces, literature—all to help our users start, run, and grow an online business from anywhere in the world. We’re looking for a diverse group of people to join us.
Design is involved in almost everything Stripe does—from our events and brand voice, to our web and mobile products, and even printed publications like Stripe Press. Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products; on their behalf we agonize over the details. We want our user experiences to become second nature.
About the Web Presence & Platform teams
There are two teams under the banner of Web Presence & Platform (WPP) at Stripe: Experiences, and Content Platform. All told, it’s a tightly coupled group of interactive designers, front-end specialists, web strategists, platform engineers, and every skill set in-between. The Experiences team focuses on the craft of pages on stripe.com—UX design, frontend code, information architecture. The Content Platform team supports them and other partners around Stripe by ensuring there’s a fast, efficient platform on which to build and run these pages.
Together we design and build stripe.com and other sites that amount to what is, for many, their first impression of Stripe. We want to make every pixel count, we want it to be enthralling, and we want to help other Stripes seamlessly benefit from our systematic work.
We’re looking for someone with:
- A passion for the web as a storytelling medium, demonstrable through a portfolio of design systems, engaging microsites, Sketch libraries, WebGL experiments, CSS art, or anything else—you tell us
- 5+ years of relevant web design experience—ideally at a tech-forward, product-driven company
- Expert understanding of the formal elements of design, not just limited to the web and including typography, layout, balance, and proportion
- Work closely with the team to help develop and expand our design systems
- Craft novel moments of storytelling and delight for Stripe.com
- Collaborate closely with design-developers and engineers to shape your work together
- Work with other design specialists and managers on team-wide initiatives, like recruiting and developing content standards
- Help the team influence strategic decisions across all the corners of our web presence
- Partner with product marketing teams to define information architecture and tell the right stories
- Often work on very broadly defined, loose concepts, and sometimes on narrowly defined, tactical deliverables
- Help you focus on what you do best—whether that’s sketches, wireframes, prototypes, designs, or code—and give you the opportunities to sharpen the skills you’re looking to develop
- Provide an environment in which you can thrive both as an individual, and as a member of a diverse community
- Give you the agency in your work to shape outcomes you can proudly own
- Help you partner closely with our user research team and support ongoing research projects
You may also be suited to this role if you:
- Are passionate about the technical possibilities offered by the web as your medium
- Can reduce complex problems down into pithy stories, delivered through interaction or animation
- Have experience designing for marketing websites, or developer-focused online experiences
- Keep pushing your work until every detail is covered
- Are skilled in explaining your work, process, and decisions to cross-functional stakeholders and crave feedback to help you produce your best work
- Are an expert in either UI, UX, or visual design
- Think in systems and are able to extrapolate and extend shared patterns and behaviors
- Have experience applying those systems to CMS-driven websites—and moreover, know how to balance maintainability with adaptability
- Love working with other designers to help them learn and grow—and have them help you learn and grow
- Have experience working on, or even leading, a remote design team
Please include these in your application:
- A portfolio, preferably online
- Your resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A 1-2 paragraph summary of your favorite project from any of your work or personal experiences
- A short paragraph on why you have faith you’ll flourish at Stripe
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.