U.S. Regulatory Counsel
Help us grow our North America Regulatory team at Stripe!
The legal team at Stripe is looking for an expert U.S. financial regulatory attorney to join our North America Regulatory team. In this role, you will be responsible for advising on a broad range of U.S. federal and state regulations, including those relating to payments, money transmission, lending, illicit finance, banking, commodities, and more. You will work closely with a variety of key stakeholders at Stripe, including Stripe’s compliance, financial crimes, policy, finance, treasury, tax, and product teams. As one of Stripe’s primary financial regulatory attorneys, you will have a unique opportunity to daily explore the intersection of technology and regulation, shape the development of new financial technologies, and manage Stripe’s regulatory posture in the United States.
Stripe is a global technology company that builds economic infrastructure for online commerce. We handle billions in transactions each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. Stripe operates within a complex and interwoven legal, regulatory, and financial partnership environment around the world. You should be comfortable advising on challenging regulatory structures in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information, collaborating across cross-functional legal and business teams, and passionate about financial technology. Join us and work with a great team to solve hard problems in a fast-moving environment!
In this role you will:
- Counsel a wide range of Stripe business and legal teams across the company and around the globe on U.S. financial regulatory matters, helping Stripe to manage regulatory risk, build novel products, and expand into new markets
- Support business and functional teams dealing with regulatory issues relating to Stripe users
- Conduct legal research into high value regulatory topics, identifying and evaluating business and legal risks, and finding creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals
- Advise on the impact of new laws and regulations, and partner with Stripe’s Policy team to promote a regulatory environment that supports responsible financial innovation
- Represent Stripe before state and federal agencies, examiners, banking partners, and other external audiences
- Contribute to licensing and prudential matters and the maintenance of Stripe’s core regulatory programs
To be considered for this role, you must have:
- A JD degree from an ABA-accredited university and membership in at least one U.S. state bar (or equivalent registered in-house counsel in jurisdiction of location
- A minimum of 8 years combined relevant experience at a leading law firm, in-house legal department, or U.S. agency focusing on financial services regulation
- Substantial experience advising clients on financial regulatory matters—specific payments and money transmission experience is particularly advantageous
- Substantial experience interacting with U.S. regulators, such as FinCEN, OCC, FDIC, CFPB, New York DFS, or California DFPI
- Excellent written and verbal communication and advocacy skills
- Excellent strategic thinking to enable business partners to make decisions that are grounded in a practical application of the law, technology, and business goals
The person we want to hire for this role will also:
- Be curious–willing and able to roll up your sleeves and get into the details of novel and complex business models
- Be a terrific communicator (written and verbal), with an ability to make complex regulatory concepts clear to business teams, engineers, lawyers, and regulators
- Have strong project management skills, capable of working under tight deadlines with high levels of resilience
- Have excellent risk-based judgment, strong ethics and integrity, and the ability to make smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information
- Be team oriented, humble, and willing to pitch in where needed in a growing company Be a self-starter, demonstrating good initiative with agility of thought and dexterity of approach to legal problems
- Be passionate about financial regulation and excited about Stripe’s mission to help businesses grow and thrive online
- Resume and LinkedIn profile
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.