Treasury & Financial Products Counsel
Come work on our newest and most innovative products as a member of our legal team!
The legal team at Stripe is looking for an experienced corporate lawyer or product counsel to join our team in San Francisco, Seattle, or New York. As counsel supporting our product and partnerships teams, you will help to build and grow some of Stripe’s newest and most innovative products that will be key to Stripe’s growing global economic infrastructure and financial tools for the internet.
Stripe is a global technology company that builds infrastructure for online commerce. We handle billions in transactions each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. Stripe operates within a complex and interwoven legal, regulatory, and financial partnership environment around the world. You should be comfortable supporting highly regulated, often complicated products that require deal work and advice across legal disciplines and to constituencies as diverse as engineering, product managers, partnership managers, other lawyers and compliance professionals at all levels. Can you dig into the details, exercise superb judgment and also keep track of many fast-paced and competing demands? Join us and work with a great team to solve hard problems!
To be considered for this role, you must have:
- A JD degree from an ABA accredited university and be in good standing with the Bar of New York or California
- A minimum of 5 years combined relevant experience with highly regulated industries (e.g., banking or securities) and broad cross-functional corporate law experience (drafting, negotiation, deal management, document processing, research) in a top law firm and/or in-house legal team
- A broad legal knowledge that enables you to spot and resolve a variety of legal issues in transactions across multiple jurisdictions (e.g., contract, IP, privacy, consumer protection, regulatory); strong drafting chops with an aversion to gratuitous “whereas”es, “heretofore”s, and other words for words’ sake; and an ability to identify and communicate practical, risk-based solutions to issues as the lead negotiator and drafter of agreements
- Experience counseling product teams, technical teams, and other clients on the law and its application to goals for their products and teams
- Strong interest in financial technology
- Extreme organizational skills
The person we want to hire for this role will also:
- Be a terrific deal lawyer–willing and able to roll up your sleeves and get into the details of how things work, why things are regulated the way they are, and creatively solve for regulatory issues (with support)
- Have experience on legal (domestic and international) issues impacting financial services and technology products, such as privacy, security, consumer protection, and commercial and consumer lending
- Have a strong interest in technology and FinTech in particular
- Be a quick study on new things, how they work, and what they do
- Thrive working on a team in a fast-paced environment with priorities that frequently change and occasionally compete
- Be a great communicator and solid project manager, able to effectively prioritize and advance a large number of deals happening simultaneously, often on tight deadlines
If hired for this role, you will:
- Counsel the Stripe product team on a range of issues related to banking-as-a-service, payment card and lending products, including product structuring and implementation, marketing and servicing communications, intellectual property, data security and data privacy
- Actively collaborate with a wide variety of Stripe teams, including product, engineering, partnerships (business development), compliance, and marketing on a range of issues related to product development and commercialization
- Help build scalable and effective processes to enable the business to self help, and for legal review
- Draft, review, and update foundational documents for product and service offerings, such as business partnership agreements, customer communications and support
- Participate as a proactive business partner to senior managers and build a trusted advisor relationship
- Consult on international implementation of the products (e.g., UK, EU, Canada)
- Submit your resume and LinkedIn profile
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.