The Technical Operations team is responsible for the day to day operation of the financial infrastructure that moves funds into, around, and out of Stripe. Our work is critical to the entire lifecycle of money at Stripe. As we move money through payment networks (e.g. Visa, SEPA, Alipay), we have to ensure we correctly collect the funds, pay them out to our users, account for all of this movement, and keep an eye on everything in between.
With these responsibilities, Tech Ops is a dynamic and key component of Stripe’s success. We sit at the nexus of users, engineers, and financial partners, connecting all three to ensure that everyone thrives and nothing is lost in translation.
- Become a domain expert on the subject of payments ecosystem
- Handle inquiries from internal Stripes and external partners’ technical teams, often requiring detailed investigation and sometimes code changes
- Engage with Stripe’s financial partners to troubleshoot and solve technical problems
- Organize and direct complex technical changes and projects between Stripe and our partners
- Identify and automate manual processes that create needless toil
- Identify and relieve operational toil through simple code changes, partner agreements, or coordinating more complex code changes across Stripe
- Improve internal documentation and tooling
Technical Operations is one part coding and one part managing projects. The ideal candidate will have experience in both, but successful candidates may index more highly in one or the other.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Knowledge of and experience with payment technologies and ecosystems
- Great technical problem-solving skills, with an ability to develop a working understanding of a technical system using a variety of methods. These include (but aren’t limited to): reading code, reading documentation or partner specifications, running debugging programs, reading logs, asking well-formed questions to domain experts, or digging into the raw data through various interfaces.
- Great communication skills, with an ability to frame messages appropriately for technical and non-technical audiences
- The will to deliver results, with an ability to establish priorities and reliably execute on solutions (often with hard external deadlines)
- Comfort using SQL to navigate Stripe’s data and diagnose the scope and urgency of issues
- Comfort with developer tools (e.g. git), and an ability to make small, well-scoped code changes in Stripe’s codebase
- An instinct to produce work that increases the impact of others, and helps us scale and grow (e.g. documentation, tools)
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.